Film!?!?!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

D-U-K-E

Reaction score
So i just bottled a steam style bock a few days back and seem to be having some funky things going on.
When i first cracked open the fermenter there were clumps of white film on the top of the wort. I was able to siphon off the beer without including too much of this film. Now its been in bottles for three days, and the film has returned to the top of the beer on the bottle. Just a very thin white film.

Does this have to do with steam style bock, or with DUn Dun DUUUUnnnnn...mold?

Eeek,
Duke

please, somebody weigh in that can say "Nah, its not film its just _______"!!!! PLEASE!!!

or is it really true?

Sob....

OK I don't think it's mold. It's probably some wild yeast or bacteria. If it doesn't taste bad I wouldn't worry about it.

It could be mold I have had it happen in the secondary a few times, it doesn't usually affect the beer however. Never had it happen in the bottle but I'm with EvilTOJ if it tastes and smells fine I wouldn't worry too much.

Or it could just be bottle krauzens forming instead, if it is, it will fall just like the krauzen at the top of the fermenter....run it through the 3 weeks at 70 conditioning process and then see if everything's ok....

so i guess that means i'll just have to drink it and hope its not some sort of toxic life ending apocalypse inducing fungus.

What an adventure!

Thanks,
Duke

so i guess that means i'll just have to drink it and hope its not some sort of toxic life ending apocalypse inducing fungus.

What an adventure!

Thanks,
Duke
No "toxic life ending apocalypse inducing fungi" can live in beer....so you should be ok...:D

It may taste like satan's anus...but it won't kill you...or turn you into a zombie...

At least I don't think so....:D

Back