How long to bottle after stabilising.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

firefysh

Reaction score
Hi, folks.
After adding a Camden tablet and stabiliser to my (almost) wine, how long should I leave it before bottling please.
I don't intend to back-sweeten it.
Thanks for your attention,
firefysh.:)

What is the issue? If you are stabilizing after all the sugar has fermented out then you can bottle immediately (I add the K-meta and K-sorbate to my bottling bucket). If you are hoping to stop the bullet in mid flight... then good luck. I would say that you bottle after you know for certain that the gravity is not dropping (and that might take several readings over several weeks. Stabilization does not really stop fermentation. It can help inhibit refermentation but it does so when there are only a handful of viable yeast cells left in your wine.

Thanks Bernard.
The problem has arisen with some demijon wine that had shown no interest in life for about 5 months. Then the last re-racking it foamed very briefly, all over in a couple of seconds, then apparently back to sleep. I will be re-racking again this month and we will see what happens. I am intending (at present) to bottle in about July, so there is a little time yet.
I use a batch of 5 litres, and constantjy taking the SG quickly starts consuming the future wine.
:off: I believe thet there are machines which can take S.G's using only a drop. Do you know anything about these please?
firefysh.

Hiya Firefysh, Wine ain't beer and if you sanitize all your equipment properly you can return any sample you have taken to measure the gravity. The risk of souring is tiny (you are fermenting fruit not grain so lactic acid is not an issue). OK, the device you are talking about is a refractometer but this is really designed to enable you to measure the sugar content of fruit. In the presence of alcohol the way light bends is very different so you need to apply complex formulas to allow the refraction of light in the presence of alcohol to be accurately indicated by this tool.

Hi, Bernard.
Thanks again for your reply.
I am careful about sanitizing equipment, so will do as you suggest, which will save a lot of waste. :)
Thanks also for the info. on the Refractometer. I think that I'll stay well away from it.
Thanks again for the help,
firefysh.

Latest posts

Back