Shouldn't you avoid drinking the yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smallkiller

Reaction score
That's the entire reason we pour it, but for weizens it appears people mix the yeast into the beer before drinking. Wouldn't you get a stomach ache or the farts?

I spent three years in Germany. The only time I have ever seen anybody swirl the sediment at the bottom of a bottle of hefe into a glass was after I got back to the states.

That being said, decanting is a common practice in seperating the sediment from the beer.

Yes decanting as a brewing term means pouring a liquid off of a yeast sediment. You'll often hear the word used when talking about yeast starters: it's common practice for high gravity or large volume brews to make a starter, let it consume all the sugar, then decant the wort off the yeast and add fresh wort to increase the yeast even more.

That's kinda off-topic, but it illustrates the term.

Some people are more sensitive to the yeast than others. In some beers I prefer it like wheats and wits. Doesn't bother me so I'm not to worries about it.

Yes decanting as a brewing term means pouring a liquid off of a yeast sediment. You'll often hear the word used when talking about yeast starters: it's common practice for high gravity or large volume brews to make a starter, let it consume all the sugar, then decant the wort off the yeast and add fresh wort to increase the yeast even more.

That's kinda off-topic, but it illustrates the term.

I will remember this for sure!

Some people suggest it will give you gas because yeast will start eating sugars that your body hasn't digested yet. Other than that, some people find the taste of yeast objectionable, but it's actually quite good for you.

Some people suggest it will give you gas because yeast will start eating sugars that your body hasn't digested yet. Other than that, some people find the taste of yeast objectionable, but it's actually quite good for you.

Nice, now we just need to market it as a diet suppliment! One yeast pill per candy bar to cut down on the calories.

It works a lot like E.coli does, taking care of the excess proteins you eat and turning it into carbon dioxide. Although yeast not as common to cause you as much gas.

The yeast is very good for you. Loads of B-vitamins (except B12) and minerals. Some people do take it as a supplement. If I don't want to mix it with the beer, I'll just drink the sediment when I'm done. I used to have allergies all the time and take over the counter medication a lot of days. Since I have been drinking homebrew I never do. Healthiest I have ever been. As for my diet, it wasn't that great (college diet). Only lately have I been trying to eat better. Worst case you may fart a little more. I have never had any other issues. Granted I have heard some people are more sensitive to it.

I actually find the taste to not be appealing. I have an amber that gushes, and some of the yeast mixes, but I try to avoid it beacuse I don't find the taste of too much yeast pleasing. Personal opinion though

I've been bottling using 1 litre bottles quite a lot. Very often I'll pour my first glass so that it's really nice and clear, take note of the flavour, then give the bottle a little swirl to agitate a bit more sediment into the solution and pour another glass. Most of the time I've found that the cloudier, yeastier, glassful has a slightly fruitier flavour. As it gets closer to the bottom third of the bottle it's cloudier still and just as enjoyable. More often than not I'll drink the dregs straight from the bottle too as I've always had a good rapport with yeast. Grew up liberally smearing marmite on buttered toast:rockin: all the time as a kid. Personally I consider yeast to be an excellent health supplement :ban:but to each his own. I can understand others not being as enthusiastic about consuming it.:mug:

The yeast is very good for you. Loads of B-vitamins (except B12) and minerals. Some people do take it as a supplement. If I don't want to mix it with the beer, I'll just drink the sediment when I'm done. I used to have allergies all the time and take over the counter medication a lot of days. Since I have been drinking homebrew I never do. Healthiest I have ever been. As for my diet, it wasn't that great (college diet). Only lately have I been trying to eat better. Worst case you may fart a little more. I have never had any other issues. Granted I have heard some people are more sensitive to it.

That's weird... I used to have bad year-round allegeries too. They've pretty much gone away since I've been brewing more frequently these last 2 years.

That's the entire reason we pour it, but for weizens it appears people mix the yeast into the beer before drinking. Wouldn't you get a stomach ache or the farts?

Generally, it's a good idea to minimize transfer of yeast into the bottles, and decanting carefully to minimize the transfer of yeast into the glass, because it has such a pronounced flavor impact. You can, of course, drink the yeast that is left behind separately if you like the taste or potential health benefits. Gastrointestinal effects should wane after a few weeks of doing this.

For some styles, especially unfiltered wheat beers, the yeast is a desired flavor component. Therefore, those beers shouldn't be decanted, but the swirling thing is optional.

In summary: It depends.

The yeast i the beer is not a bad thing, in fact it is full of vitamin B complex. You can buy it in many healthfood stores, and the Belgian's practically worship it for it's healthful benefits.

brewersyeast.jpg

But most folks, especially Americans who for generations have been weened on crystal clear, pasturized and filtered "dead" beers like BMC are frightened of the cloudyness and yeasty taste of bottle conditioned beers with a lot of yeast in it.We have been encultured to be used to bland, tasteless, massed produced pablum, so many folks are downright scared of "Real" things that may be sour, or raw, or earthy.

And yes folks do have issues, initially, dealing with the oligosaccyhrydes in yeast, so folks in the beginning do get gassy, or some, have GI issues, but eventually we tolerate it. Just look at the threads about yeast farts and you'll see. We've all gone through it, and our gut's gotten used to it.

I always have a tight yeast cake on the bottom of the bottle that never goes into the glass, even if I hold it straight up. Guess I'm rinsing all my health benefits down the drain.

I always have a tight yeast cake on the bottom of the bottle that never goes into the glass, even if I hold it straight up. Guess I'm rinsing all my health benefits down the drain.

i imagine that, if you don't filter your beer there is still some yeast left floating around in there.

When I was stationed in Germany, some people swirled the yeast into suspension, some didn't. I liked it either way.

I second what Revvy posted.

I seem to recall reading in B.L.A.M that one of the Belgian breweries sells "shots" of their yeast to accompany their beer as some folks really dig the taste (and health benefits)

I don't worry about the dregs in my Belgian ales - I think it ads character (and I don't care about the farting, I can always blame my dog) :)

Mermaid said:
I second what Revvy posted.

I seem to recall reading in B.L.A.M that one of the Belgian breweries sells "shots" of their yeast to accompany their beer as some folks really dig the taste (and health benefits)

I don't worry about the dregs in my Belgian ales - I think it ads character (and I don't care about the farting, I can always blame my dog) :)

I need to get a dog :)
2nd that on yeast shots

malty_sam said:
I need to get a dog :)
2nd that on yeast shots

Wife always blamed me anyway even when the dog did it at least until one day I wasn't home and the dog let loose. Now I can get away with blaming him :)

Back