Jack Kellers Orange Wine, but With S-05?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HalfPint

Reaction score
I'm going to make Orange Wine (2) found here http://winemaking.jackkeller.net/reques33.asp, but since I don't make wine, I don't have all of those wine specific ingredients such as wine yeast, tannin, and pectic enzyme. So, I'm thinking about making a 2 gallon batch of this.

Here is what I'm thinking.

Make per his directions, but leave out all of the wine specific junk except nutrient, pasteurize at 160 for 10 minutes, cool, aerate, and pitch a packet of S-05 into the 2 gallon batch. I think I'll be fine leaving the tannin out b/c I am going to be using 2 lbs of raisins.

My concerns:

1) S-05 only goes to ~12%. Will this be waaaayyy too sweet?
2) Without the enzyme, it will be hella hazy

Yes
Yes
If you want to make wine, you really should use wine ingredients.

By the way, wine yeast is much cheaper than ale yeast.

Yes
Yes
If you want to make wine, you really should use wine ingredients.

By the way, wine yeast is much cheaper than ale yeast.

Yeah, I usually keep wine yeast on hand, but I just used the rest of mine in some mead I made a while back. I probably shoulda washed it, but oh well.

Yeah, I usually keep wine yeast on hand, but I just used the rest of mine in some mead I made a while back. I probably shoulda washed it, but oh well.

When you buy your next order, just order a few packages of wine yeast and keep them in the fridge- they'll be good for years. Pectic enzyme and tannin, too.

The Red Star yeast I buy is about $.79 cents, so I stock up when I buy it. I've never washed wine yeast because of the lees. I'm not sure it will work like ale yeast, where the trub is heavier than the yeast. Wine lees tend to be powdery and I don't know how I'd separate it from the yeast.

When you buy your next order, just order a few packages of wine yeast and keep them in the fridge- they'll be good for years. Pectic enzyme and tannin, too.

The Red Star yeast I buy is about $.79 cents, so I stock up when I buy it. I've never washed wine yeast because of the lees. I'm not sure it will work like ale yeast, where the trub is heavier than the yeast. Wine lees tend to be powdery and I don't know how I'd separate it from the yeast.

Thanks for the advice. Yeah, I usually buy a few packages of wine yeast at a time, but I'm out now. Well, I don't plan on brewing for a while b/c of my busy schedule, but I don't want all of my satsumas to go bad! Do you think I could freeze the satsumas somehow and make this wine later?

Thanks for the advice. Yeah, I usually buy a few packages of wine yeast at a time, but I'm out now. Well, I don't plan on brewing for a while, b/c of my busy schedule, but I don't want all of my satsumas to go bad! Do you think I could freeze the satsumas somehow and make this wine later?

Sure! I mean, I've never frozen satsumas, but I freeze everything else so I can't imagine why it wouldn't work.

COOL! Do you think you would peel and take the seeds out first?

Are the peels part of the recipe? When I freeze bananas for wine, the peels are actually part of the recipe so I don't peel them. If the recipe calls for peeled fruit, you'll have to peel them before freezing as they'll be a pulpy mess after thawing.

I use just sugar and yeast for my wine and its turned out fine, could someone fill me in on the tannin and other things that i see in alot of these recipes? I am new at this and it would be really awesome if someone could break down all the "talk" and ingredients.

Alright, I guess I'll peel, seed, and puree them before freezing. With all of my perishables frozen, I can just wait until I place another order.

Thanks for the help everybody,
J

I use just sugar and yeast for my wine and its turned out fine, could someone fill me in on the tannin and other things that i see in alot of these recipes? I am new at this and it would be really awesome if someone could break down all the "talk" and ingredients.

Well, just like anything you make you can improve some a dish with some spices. Like if you're making spaghetti sauce- you could get by with tomato sauce and salt. But adding some oregano and garlic will make it better. Wine is the same way- a little tannin will give the wine some "bite", some acid blend will give some acidity and depth, and so on.

Back