Soilent Green, overhopped?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

milracing

Reaction score
Thanks in advance.
So I just brewed my first allgrain. I'm actually pretty new but like to jump in with both feet. It mashing all went great. Here's my concern: I used hop pellets in the "sock tube" that they sell at the brewing store, not the fine mesh bag I used in the past. My wort came out super green and full of green hop particles. I probably should have tried to filter it during the cooling phase.... I took a sample and it seemed to settle out in a glass on the bottom. So its in the fermenter for better or worse. I'm hoping I will be able to rack the beer off the top into the second fermenter. I understand some hop gunk from hot break is normal but this was outrageously Green. Should I have used a fine mesh bag instead? Did I just destroy this batch?
Question two. I'm concerned I overhopped it as well. The wort was very bitter. I had a recipe for a 2.5 gallon batch and just doubled the hops.. (dumb I know) I should have put more thought into it. Is there a chance that some of the bitterness will fade by the time it's complete. It's a lager.
Again, thanks.
SEth

If you are going to change ingredients then you need to get yourself Beersmith so you can have some idea what you are doing. You can very accurately adjust and know how it will turn out. Do not worry about hops getting into the fermenter, it does not hurt at all. The hops will settle out in about 10 days. If it is a lager (lager yeast) I hope you are keeping it at 50 degrees F?

I've made a couple green beers but they ended up just fine (not green). Eventually, the particles will fall to the bottom and your lovely beer color will emerge.

As for the bitterness, it will fade with time. It may not be faded by the time the beer is finished but it will fade with aging. I've found that the taste of the wort has very little to do with the final beer so you may not be as over-hopped as you think.

Welcome to HBT!

Thanks so much!
Yeh 50 degrees.
Thanks for the rapid responses folks. I will
stop hyperventilating now. :)

Soilent green is people!!!

SWMBO remarks on the greeness of the boil all the time in my lighter beers. It alwys settles out.

all pre fermented wort tastes bitter, to me anyway. those particles will fall out so dont worry brotha.

all pre fermented wort tastes bitter, to me anyway. those particles will fall out so dont worry brotha.

What he said ! Most of the raw bitterness will be gone by the time fermentation has stopped, if you overhopped you will still have a hoppy bitterness, but that is to be enjoyed, and the greeness will settle.

How much hops did you use? I have brewed beautiful double IPAs with 8oz before.

As for the hop sock, or mesh bag, I wouldn't worry much about that, sometimes I just throw the hop pellets in as is.

Please put a screaming Charlsten Heston on the label...

great name! Honestly the ingenious names that people give their beers is awesome to see. Also makes me with I had thought of them first ;)

mike

Sweet. Soilent green it is. Not sure what type of beer it be otherwise. My wort sample in the glass sitting on my counter has settled out nicely and its a beautiful marzen type color though.

I use pellet hops all the time (only type I can get here), and I just throw them in the wort with no bag, dump it into the primary all the time and it always settles out and gets covered with yeast. Not a problem at all.
Enjoy it, and I agree the label needs a picture of Charlsten Heston.

Ahoy hoy,
Theres already a cereal out there, I wonder if it would be infrindging on their use of the term? :D
I bid you and your green beer a great day!

soylent green.jpg

Back