shirron plate chiller wort/water mixed up?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ender

Reaction score
Does it matter for cooling if the water and wort in/outs are switched? As long as the water is flowing opp. from the wort it should be all good right? Or does it matter? There should be 4 correct ways to plumb the chiller me thinks

I would think there are two ways, not four, to properly plumb a plate chiller. You want the cooling water on the "outer most" layers and not the wort, for best efficiency...

Cheers!

Water and wort run in opposite directions obviously in the chiller. So Wort in on one side will be water out on the same side. Vise versa on the other side, wort out, water in. Shirron plate chillers are divided horizontally (connections wise). So the wort connections are on the top two, and water on the bottom two.

I want to know the same thing.

Does it matter for cooling if the water and wort in/outs are switched? As long as the water is flowing opp. from the wort it should be all good right? Or does it matter?

I want to swap the connections everytime I brew. THEN, it would seem that it would be getting backflushed during each use. I would still clean it as normal after every use.

This is the answer I got Brian Duda from Dudadiesel.com "It will work exactly the same regardless of which way you configure it. All that matters is that you arrange the two fluids in counter flow for maximum efficiency."

This makes me happy and I will alternate the 2 channels on each brew day.

Latest posts

Back