Wyeast 3724 (Saison)-How hot too hot??

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewDey

Reaction score
So I started a Saison on Sunday. I'd really like to get the fruity funky flavors out of this and have heard (and seen from my buddy) how this strain is notorious for sputtering out early. It has been going fine so far in my basement (~70F)

It has been an absolute heatwave here (90's..heat index in the 110's). I was thinking of moving this to the separate garage and letting it go like a true farmhouse ale. I've heard this strain can go 90+...ny thoughts?

I used the same yeast and let it do the upper 70's during fermentation. It had a bit of a stuck ferment so I raised it up. At one point, I had it in the 90's, gravity never did drop much more. It did taste like it fermented too hot but after about 6 months it actually got pretty good.

this is the saison dupont strain i believe and they do their fermentation at 95F to pump out all those funky saison flavors so dont worry, hotter is better.

Go for the funk, and just leave or repitch if it gets stuck, it will come down eventually

Yeah. Can't speak for that yeast myself but seriously, let it go hot. If you've read the Farmhouse Ales book, you'll remember the author says not to be worried to step out of your comfort zone when making a saison.

I ripped my saison at 85F and it finished all noticeable activity within 36 hours. I'll measure the gravity tomorrow or Sunday and see where I got.

Back