how long should I wait?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ron,ar

Reaction score
I know this has been covered before but...I am a worrier. I made the welches frozen version that Yoopergirl posted for me. I multiplied everything in order to make a 3 gallon batch. My starting SP was 1.095. I allowed it to set , covered for about 12 hours and pitched yeast. I used the Montrachet yeast, did not reconstitute, just sprinkled it on top and recovered. Its 9 hours later and still nothing. No activity at all. I did bring the fermenter inside out of the cold. I would guess the temp of the must was around 56 F when I pitched the yeast. Temp inside now is around 72-75 F. Any ideas?

56 degrees is way too cold- so keeping it warmer is the key. It should be fine- you can stir it twice a day, if you want. Maybe the cold caused the yeast to flocculate, so I'd stir it up. I stir my wines for the first two or three days anyway, to get oxygen into them.

It has been 32 hrs, I removed the cloth and gave it a big stirrin with a sterilized stainless spoon. If it don't get kicked off in the mrning I am going to reconstitute some more yeast and chunk it in there.
I don't like opening that bucket very often, outta sight, outta mind keeps the critters out.;)

Back