Midwest Beer of the month club

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Elfmaze

Reaction score
I was thinking of doing the Midwest homebrew supply beer of the month deal. Mainly to expand my taste palate as i am new to this. I figure i will try there lager and ale kit.

Anyone else getting monthly kits from them?

No, but I have concidered it. My biggest concern when i looked at it, was the shipping.... do you have to pay shipping each month? I know Midwest encourages you to buy more than 1 kit, to save on the shipping costs.

Mainly to expand my taste palate as i am new to this.

what do you plan to do if you make something and find out you really didn't like that style? You now have 2 cases of it to get rid of? (not that beer is too hard to get rid of)

If you're wanting to expand your palate, why not go buy a few bottles of different types at the store? (For example my local Kroger allows me to build-my-own 6 pack with different IPAs, Stouts, etc.). Then when you find those that interest you, find a recipe in that style and brew it. If you come across ones you don't, you are only out 12oz's...not 2 cases.

Just my 2c.

what do you plan to do if you make something and find out you really didn't like that style? You now have 2 cases of it to get rid of? (not that beer is too hard to get rid of)

Just my 2c.

I tend to agree, I dislike some styles, such as Pale Ale, and wouldn't want to brew one because the BotM sent me one. for $30 i can make most of the beers i like from my LHBS.

If you're wanting to expand your palate, why not go buy a few bottles of different types at the store? (For example my local Kroger allows me to build-my-own 6 pack with different IPAs, Stouts, etc.). Then when you find those that interest you, find a recipe in that style and brew it. If you come across ones you don't, you are only out 12oz's...not 2 cases.

Just my 2c.

I tend to agree, I dislike some styles, such as Pale Ale, and wouldn't want to brew one because the BotM sent me one. for $30 i can make most of the beers i like from my LHBS.
I think it is sometimes taken for granted the beer selection some of you have. I am, at absolute minimum, a 1 hour drive from any kind of beer selection. 1.5-2 for a good selection. Going to Kroger does not warrant me selection of various IPA's Stouts, ect let alone the lesser known styles at Altbier, Maibock, ect. These do not exist in my town.
I never see a big problem in disposing of 5G of a beer that is not gross. It might not be my favorite, but I can drink it one at a time. There's no time limit here. 5G is only 50 bottles give or take.

I think it is sometimes taken for granted the beer selection some of you have. I am, at absolute minimum, a 1 hour drive from any kind of beer selection. 1.5-2 for a good selection. Going to Kroger does not warrant me selection of various IPA's Stouts, ect let alone the lesser known styles at Altbier, Maibock, ect. These do not exist in my town.
I never see a big problem in disposing of 5G of a beer that is not gross. It might not be my favorite, but I can drink it one at a time. There's no time limit here. 5G is only 50 bottles give or take.

this is very true. I have a LHBS 10 minutes from work that is loosley afiliated with Austin Homebrew, where i can have most recipes filled for $35 or less, and 2 places with a huge selection of beer (hundreds to choose from between the two) within the same distance and a Draught Emporium with almost 100 beers on draft and many more in bottle a stone throw away.

If there is a style you just don't like i believe the BotM from Midwest allows you to substitute for a different recipe twice throughout the year (I don't see it on the website, but remember seeing something in their paper catalog about it)

I'm the same way The nearest HBS is 40 mins and the prices are sky high. The next one is an hour and a half. I looked over the lager bunch, the only beers i really dont like, or maby just haven't developed a taste for is IPA's and real bitter, hoppy beer. I'll ask Midwest about the swap thing though.

i have confirmed that you can swap out two per year. plus or minus the difference of the kit.

Back