How do you keep your taps clean and mold-free?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

e lo

Reaction score
I've been kegging for about a year now. I really like it, although I find I drink more beer than when I was bottling ... oh well.

However, I've been having trouble keeping my taps clean. I have three in my kegerator, but don't go through kegs all that quickly. That means a given tap might go a week or two without being used. Unfortunately, my setup is in my damp MI basement, and there's a lot of mold spores floating around. The leftover drips that hang out after pouring a glass grow mold like it's going out of style, and it's driving me crazy! If I don't clean it off, my first pour of an evening will have mold in it from the end of my tap. Nasty.

I've been kicking around the idea of getting the black rubber tap condoms (for lack of a better word) and filling them with cheap vodka between pours. Anybody try something like this, or have a better solution?

are you using forward sealing faucets? Those solved a lot of my problems

one forward seal, two regular. Will be slowly replacing with all forward seals as finances permit. I like the starsan spray idea. Don't know why that hadn't occurred to me... Thanks for the suggestion!

I haven't had a mold problem yet with my Perlicks. I remove and soak the nozzles every other week and spray a little hot water up in there. When the keg kicks, I soak the whole faucet in a hot oxyclean bath for 30 minutes and rinse well, then I'll run sanitizer through under pressure before racking any beer into that empty keg.

I routinely, at least once a day, pass a solution of Hop Oils, and fermented liquefied Malted Barley with varied concentrations of Ethanol, Esters, and Phenols through my lines and faucets to ensure they are maintained clean and sanitized.

I always drink the mixture to verify that the solution is working effectively.

Food grade spray bottle filled with cheap vodka.

A couple of squirts a couple of times a week. Just let it drip back out. The alcohol and water in the vodka seems to do a good job of keeping the nasties out.

When I change out a keg I run sanitizer through the lines. I still have never taken apart a faucet to clean it and I'm not convinced that I need to. It' sbeen ayear now and everything has worked well for me up to this point.

I routinely, at least once a day, pass a solution of Hop Oils, and fermented liquefied Malted Barley with varied concentrations of Ethanol, Esters, and Phenols through my lines and faucets to ensure they are maintained clean and sanitized.

That sounds like too much work, getting all those ingredients together and all...:mug:

+1, well done sir.

You+Win+an+Internet.jpg

Shouldn't Al Gore be on there? I mean, after all, he did invent the internet!

What a co-inkidink! That is precisely my method of mold prevention! And very effective, I might add!

Back