StarSan....Too Much???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ms8miranda

Reaction score
I'm a beginner....only my 2nd batch ever.

I just bought StarSan....it only gives directions for 5 gallons. I didn't know how much to use for a 1 liter spray bottle. I know I got too much but was in a hurry so I sprayed the bucket heavily and after a few minutes, I wiped with white napkins, then poured my must into it. Do you think it was safe since it was mixed up too strong?

Can I soak my hands in StarSan, too?

starsan is an acid sanitizer which is no wipe or rinse. When i use a sprayer i have maybe 5 ml starsan/.5 l water or maybe a bit more. Its a very strong solution, muich stronger than it needs to be to work but it does the trick. You should spray everything, let it sit, spray again and then dump out the excess starsan and fill your bucket with wort. Dont wipe or rinse it off because it defeats the whole purpose. Its foodsafe so it wont hurt you unless its concentration is in excess of 300PPM ~ 1 oz per 5 gal

then you die.....nah im just kidding. dump out the excess after you spray and what ever is left should be fine. If your worried just use it at the prescribed ppm...but i have never had a problem thus far and ive been brewing for some time using it at high concentrations...in one liter of solution your aiming for around 1.5 ml of starsan if i did my calc correctly but i really wouldnt worry about it.

Back