Is coopers yeast any good?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wildwest450

Reaction score
I got a cream ale Ag kit from AHS, the dry yeast substitute was Nottinghams, which is great. But for some reason they substituted a gold package of coopers yeast, no fermentation temps on the package. Is this yeast any good? What temp is best for it? Im a little disappointed with this substitution.:(

I just helped drain a keg of English mild that my buddy brewed with this yeast. He split 10 gallons and fermented 5 with coops and 5 with WLP001. both were fermented at ~65 F. This temp definitely favored the coopers, as it started within `8 hours and finished after 4 days. The chico carboy had be moved to a warmer location after a worrisome 24 hr lag time. Both beers ended up delicious. As expected though, the coopers presented more in the way of esters (though minimal). The only complaint was poor (or at least slow) flocculation.

its kinda 'generic' yeast...but it'll make decent beer. a cream ale doesn't really need too specific a strain, compared to other styles.

I've done three batches with the gold package cooper's yeast, all fermenting at around 65F. I had no problems with fermentation, and was happy with the results.

I did 2 honey pale ales and an IPA, rehydrating the yeast each time and letting it stand for a 1/2 hour. It also makes a great backup yeast.

Back