Best kit prices

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

okiepc

Reaction score
I am sure it has been asked before, where do you find the best prices & service for your extract kits. I had a good supplier but their prices have become quite high. I usually order 2-3 kits at a time. :mug:

Thanks for any input
okiepc

I wish, but I am about 60 miles away so the cost of fuel would be a problem. Will check out Austin Homebrew Supply, thanks

I use both Austin Homebrew and Northern Brewer. Both have flat rate shipping options, which cuts some of the cost when buying multiple kits at a time.

It may be too late, but Northern Brewer has 25% off select kits until midnight Central Time (about 2.5 hours from now). I've found their ingredients to be fresh, and they have a flat rate shipping which includes kits.

Austin Homebrew Supply is my go-to when internet-ing. But for service, you can't beat The Brew Shop in OKC. Have you been to their new store yet?

I see Austin Homebrew recommended a lot but they seem kinda expensive compared to Northern Brewer. Their Vanilla Porter kit was going to run me 40-45 before shipping depending which yeast I get.

Thanks for posting that link to the Everwood Ave Brew Shop, his prices and products both look pretty good, I wonder what shipping would be though?

I see Austin Homebrew recommended a lot but they seem kinda expensive compared to Northern Brewer. Their Vanilla Porter kit was going to run me 40-45 before shipping depending which yeast I get.

With Austin Homebrew, when you order a kit, they crush the grain fresh. That way it ensures the grain is fresh and not already crushed grain. With Northern Brewer, some of the kits have crushed grain sitting in a bag for a few weeks just waiting for you to order (the crushed grain is dated). However, if you order your own grains (your own recipe) Northern Brewer will crush the grain for your order so you know its fresh.

However, if you order your own grains (your own recipe) Northern Brewer will crush the grain for your order so you know its fresh.

While I believe this may be true for large amount of base grains based on one 6 lb bag of Golden Promise for my last brew, but ...
all other bags from NB have been 1 lb heat sealed ziploc bags of pre-crushed grain with crush dates printed on the bags.

OTOH, I don't have a problem with the pre-crushed bags.

On the third hand, I wish NB would sell partial pounds.

On the fourth hand, a NB kit is next in my brew queue with only 1 lb of pre-crushed 20L and 6.3 lb Pilsen Malt Syrup; NB Conundrum Session IPA beating out AHS Orange IPA with the "cheaper" price. A timely special may change the choice late August.

Shoot him an email...I've always got great service from him

Thanks, I did just that, an American Brown Ale extract 1G recipe. The flat rate shipping $9.99 looked great, but he said that was for your area only, so he suggested putting something in the cart. Then following the steps as to order it, click on estimate shipping and then to get back to him with any questions and he'd look into it. It was quite a bit for shipping so he's looking into the shipping charges.

Last edited:
Thanks, I did just that, an American Brown Ale extract 1G recipe. The flat rate shipping $9.99 looked great, but he said that was for your area only, so he suggested putting putting something in the cart. Then following the steps as to order it, click on estimate shipping and then to get back to him with any questions and he'd look into it. It was quite a bit for shipping so he's looking into the shipping charges.

Yea...I think flat rate is for Canada only

Listerman brewing sells huge 33 lb jugs of malt extract for $69.95 (what I get) they also do large bags of DME. They have a website that I used to order thru but after a day of website problems decided to call. Glad the call was made cuz they have stuff that the site site never mentions like many varieties of hops by the pound. This is what we do now - buy in bulk. I vacuum bag/freeze unused hops til needed ... who needs a kit when you can drop in your own hop pellets during the boil? Same good beer, maybe better if you've gone full hophead like me ... way better price.

http://listermannbrewing.com/product-category/malt-syrups-extracts/

AIH tookover AHS, but is operating independently.
NB has taken the name and Brew Builder from Brewmasters Warehouse but is not operating in Marietta.
Why does AHB run sales that AIH doesnt? Are they the same company now?

ritebrew.com sells grain by the ounce.
I bought 2 ounces of a large variety of grains to make teas out of them to learn their taste.

How does Crystal 10 taste compared to Crystal 20 to 40 to 60 etc.

I buy grains in bulk. I have a $25 Corona style mill. I shop around for the grain but find Farmhouse Brewing Supply to be my go to. I like to use Northern Brewers kits for inspiration. I look at the ingredients then formulate a recipe on Beersmith.

You can save a lot of $$ by brewing recipes instead of kits. A $40 kit costs me less than $30 in ingredients.

AHS is the only shop I'll order kits from. I've ordered from another before (won't name them here) and I got old yeast, just about to expire. Every kit I've ordered from AHS (up to about 15 now and only started less than a year ago) I've gotten dry yeast with at least a year left, most often more.

(I can only do DME and dry yeast due to where I'm stationed now.)

AHS is the only shop I'll order kits from. I've ordered from another before (won't name them here) and I got old yeast, just about to expire. Every kit I've ordered from AHS (up to about 15 now and only started less than a year ago) I've gotten dry yeast with at least a year left, most often more.

(I can only do DME and dry yeast due to where I'm stationed now.)

Why wouldn't you name them here? you want fellow HBT members to recieve a expired product?

Back