Cold Conditioning

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
zacmac said:
BierMuncher, I shouldn't worry about yeast dying off and causing off tastes?
No..not if your beer finished fermenting in the primary.

Cooler temps will help the yeast to fall out and settle in the conditioning tank. Was you beer done fermenting?

did you use a hydrometer? or did you guess that it was done?

Can you guess which of the above is the right way to tell? ;)

it'll be fine. it takes yeast quite some time to die off and produce funky flavors (autolysis)
and the cooler temps will slow that process down further.

i got lazy and decided on the latter.
I waited about 3 weeks, the krausen had fallen, so i thought i would be
in the clear. how much longer should i keep it in the fridge, it has been about 1 week so far.

Chello, to the best of my knowledge, cold conditioning just affects the clearing of the beer and not carbonation. but someone else maybe able to answer that better

If your beer isn't already carbonated, and you condition at a temperature where your yeast goes dormant, you won't get carbonation. Once your beer is carbonated, it ought to get cold for, at least, a few days so that they CO2 can dissolve properly into the beer for serving.

More goes on during cold conditioning that clearing. There's still some chemistry going on in there, thus the changes in the beer beyond clarifying.

TL

TexLaw said:
If your beer isn't already carbonated, and you condition at a temperature where your yeast goes dormant, you won't get carbonation.

Just for clarification: once bottled it will not carb if you keep the bottles cold. Cold conditioning your carboy will not remove enough yeast to prevent carbonation. Just store the bottles at room temp for a few weeks (3+) before refrigerating to consume.

Back