Mold in bottle?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

qckslvr546

Reaction score
Hi, this is my first batch and after about a week of being in the bottle I noticed this at the top of most of the bottles. I opened two bottles and they smelled fine, didn't wanna taste any just in case lol. Also, when I open the room temp ones they get really foamy, although I was pretty sure I added too much priming sugar. I left a couple in the fridge over night on the advice of someone else to see if it would sink to see if it was yeast but they have not sunk. Thank you for the help, I really don't wanna have to dump my whole first batch. They still have another week to go for carbonation, should I see how it is then?

IMG_1723.jpg

IMG_1725.jpg

If it was mold or infection I would expect it to smell or taste bad. Do you have reason to believe you have an infection?

I've noticed mold spots at the bottom of hand-me-down bottles that weren't properly washed, and they looked similar to that. Did you sanitize all your bottles properly? Did you try the one you opened to see if there were any off flavors? Granted, it wasn't fully carbonated so you wouldn't a completely accurate impression of the finished product.

I'd think if it doesn't smell funky, just leave it be and try one after it has bottle-conditioned for another week or two.

If it was mold or infection I would expect it to smell or taste bad. Do you have reason to believe you have an infection?

No, the only thing I could think of that would cause it is I didn't sanitize my bottles properly. I thought it might have been some yeast or something but since this is my first batch I didn't know. Thank you.

I've noticed mold spots at the bottom of hand-me-down bottles that weren't properly washed, and they looked similar to that. Did you sanitize all your bottles properly? Did you try the one you opened to see if there were any off flavors? Granted, it wasn't fully carbonated so you wouldn't a completely accurate impression of the finished product.

I'd think if it doesn't smell funky, just leave it be and try one after it has bottle-conditioned for another week or two.

I got my bottles new from a home brew store and thought I washed them properly. Yeah I actually decided to taste one and it seemed to taste fine, although I was right about over priming it and it was super carbonated already lol. Ok I'll give it a couple more weeks and see what it's like then, thank you.

Back