Tell me about your brew rig

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cabron99

"Torcedor"
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Am about to invest in a brew rig, probably 15-2500 bux, and am doing my due diligence on the internet. Won't be building as I'm too busy/old and would rather spend my time brewing. Flexibility is important, as I like to experiment with different brews. I would appreciate input from those of you who purchased their rigs relatively complete. I prefer 5 gallon batches, but 10 isn't out of the question. 5 gallons because I like to brew often. I've been brewing AG for almost 2 years and have a eclectic collection of gear. Will probably buy all new. Hope you can help me out.

Pat

I built mine from bedframes (no weld) cost about 360.00 with kegs/filter/pump/hoses/fittings/fasteners ect bedframes were free

Dougie63 said:
I built mine from bedframes (no weld) cost about 360.00 with kegs/filter/pump/hoses/fittings/fasteners ect bedframes were free

That's what I'm sound also. Just cut the bed frames . Now I'm drilling the holes for bolts. Got frames free n kegs free n my dad works for propane co. So I get free propane n will get all hoses n regulators free. N free chiller

Pic from today. All bolted together just need to get casters n the propane setup

ForumRunner_20120906_180127.jpg

I made a complete mess of Rich's stand to be sure. Unfortunately, we are at an impasse at how to resolve our differences.

I can't help much with what you are looking for.

Mine is 2x4's, Plywood, a turkey fryer, An SP-10 burner, two 10 gallon pots and a 10 gallon water cooler. It works great for my budget. I do plan on another SP-10 to replace the turkey fryer.

I just built my new 20 gallon system and could build u anything u needed. My frame is pretty basic but it works great.

image-1244632288.jpg

Less than $200 worth of shelving, including shipping:

7967942730_d6174310ba_c.jpg

Just need to add a pump to the HLT on the bottom and I won't have to do any more heavy lifting.

I ordered an electric 20 gallon automated system from Brewsteel about a month ago. I have only good things to say about my experience dealing with Kurt. They do custom systems which is nice. I think he uses stout tanks exclusively now too. I have heard alot of good things about tanks.

The shelving is just some heavy duty adjustable chrome wire shelving I ordered from www.theshelvingstore.com. 4 x 44" posts, 2 x 34" posts, 6 x 4 inch swivel casters, and 3 x 24" square shelves. Came to about $225 after shipping and it comes with more clips than you'll probably ever need. The shelving is rated to 800 lbs evenly distributed so it doesn't even bow under the weight of an almost full 10 gallon rubbermaid mash tun.

Mash tun is your standard home depot cooler with a 1/2" stainless ball valve conversion kit. For lautering I made a CPVC manifold and connected it with a 1/2" threaded CPVC fitting:

7979759855_7592663835.jpg

7979759795_ec25d0af80.jpg

The kettles I picked up from Spike Brewing, they have a couple small dents here and there but nothing game breaking. They get the job done for a great price. Both kettles have two horizontal welded couplers. HLT has ball vave on one, T fitting with 6" probe thermometer and sight glass on the other. The BK has ball valve and just an elbow fitting with a sight glass. I picked up all the fittings, thermometer, and sight glass equipment from brew hardware. Once I get a pump, I'll use it to pump from the HLT on the bottom to the mash tun and I won't have to do any lifting other than to clean the mash tun when I'm done.

Burners are just your average banjo burner and I've got a separate propane tank for each, although you can limp by with just one if you really need to.

Back