The Honey Badger

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

guinnessface

Reaction score
Recipe Type
All Grain
Yeast
WLP001
Yeast Starter
Yes
Batch Size (Gallons)
Original Gravity
Final Gravity
Boiling Time (Minutes)
IBU
Color
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp)
Additional Fermentation
Kegged
Tasting Notes
Citra Honey IPA
8# pale 2 row
4# vienna
2# victory
1# cara 40
Mash @ 157
1oz centennial FWH
1oz citra @ 20/15/5/0
12oz "Nature's Promise Wildflower Organic Honey" @ 5min
Primary 7 days
1oz citra dry hop (whole leaf)
(irish moss added @ 15 and gelatin added to keg)

This is a wonderfully citra forward IPA. The nose is very pungent with citrus and fruit and the bitterness is perfectly balanced with a bit of a honey aftertaste. At 6.8% The Honey Badger will sneak up on you after a couple. So far, this is the recipe I'm most proud of....I'll include a picture if you want. Please let me know if you have any questions.

Cheers!

image-3194298762.jpg

Here she is

snowninja1 said:
How were you ale to get to 1.01 with a 157 mash?

I'm not really sure. I shot for the 155-160 range to get a fuller body. I had it in a conical for 2 weeks when I took the reading and kegged it. Maybe I didn't let it sit long enough. It sure worked out though. I just brewed it again and I'll let it sit a little longer to see if it dips below 1.01

It's difficult to pinpoint how the victory affects the maltiness. The vienna packs a pretty malty punch and I think some of the sweetness is bumped up by the honey. The victory, if anything adds a bit of roasted flavor, but nothing that overpowers the rest. This beer is very citra-forward, but as I mentioned before, it's just the right balance (IMHO) between malt flavor, sweetness and bitterness. I'd really be interested to hear someone else's take after brewing this.

How were you ale to get to 1.01 with a 157 mash?

I just tried out a second batch, but I racked it from the conical to a carboy for a bout 2 weeks....this time I ended up with a FG of 1.002 (7.2%).

I kegged my first batch pretty quickly and never gave the fermentation time to run its course. Regardless, it tasted great (as does the 2nd batch). The only thing I did different was dry hop with pellets rather than whole. Speaking of which, if you're having a hard time finding citra, midwest supplies should still have some.

Cheers-

Back