Newbie panic mode!! (bOy I'm StuPid)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jbuecker71

Reaction score
So it's been on my mind....after my lid blew.....that thick layer of muck that was on the bottom of my bucket lid that I washed down the drain is making me think (and I'm your basic idiot) that I may lose some hoppiness. Is still fermenting and the blow off smells amazing but did I lose to much hop debris? Or am I just in newbie panic mode?

The hops you used in your boil have already imparted their bitterness and flavor into your beer, I wouldn't worry about it. If it's a Pale Ale or IPA you may want to dry hop it with 1 oz or so of hops for the last 7 days before bottling.

you did not lose any hoppiness.
if you were dry hopping and you had a blow off, i would first say, "why are you hopping so early into your primary" and secondly, "wait until fermentation is done and then dry-hop to get your desired aroma."

Just to build on what others are saying, the flavor and aroma of hops comes principally from the release of essential oils contained trapped in the leaves in the cone. The hop debris contains little residual essential oil after it is boiled, even if for just a few minutes. So losing the hop debris from your fermenter should have a truly negligible affect on your beer.

if you were dry hopping and you had a blow off, i would first say, "why are you hopping so early into your primary" and secondly, "wait until fermentation is done and then dry-hop to get your desired aroma."[/QUOTE

Sorry I should of been more clear! I was NOT dry hopping I was simply in the first2 4-48 hours of primary. Temp was up to 73F. And was a pretty vigorous. This is my first batch ever and was just unsure of the effects of removing that muck from under the lid. Needless to say I will Never use that little air lock again lol...... Really no reason for it when I can use a blow off tube and not worry about it. But thank you all for the responses! It's is a brewers best ipa so if you all have had any experience please feel free to share your thoughts. My starting gravity at 70F was 1.062 corrected for temp was 1.063 . It's day four of primary and it's slowing down to bout 15 bubbles a minute at 68F.

JUST SET IT, AND FORGET IT!!!
ron_popeil.jpg

*fake applause*

if you were dry hopping and you had a blow off, i would first say, "why are you hopping so early into your primary" and secondly, "wait until fermentation is done and then dry-hop to get your desired aroma."[/QUOTE

Sorry I should of been more clear! I was NOT dry hopping I was simply in the first2 4-48 hours of primary. Temp was up to 73F. And was a pretty vigorous. This is my first batch ever and was just unsure of the effects of removing that muck from under the lid. Needless to say I will Never use that little air lock again lol...... Really no reason for it when I can use a blow off tube and not worry about it. But thank you all for the responses! It's is a brewers best ipa so if you all have had any experience please feel free to share your thoughts. My starting gravity at 70F was 1.062 corrected for temp was 1.063 . It's day four of primary and it's slowing down to bout 15 bubbles a minute at 68F.

Youre fine. Granted something could have gotten in when youre lid blew, but its pretty unlikely. Did the kit come with dry hops? I usually love them in IPAs, but in your first batch it is probably best just to follow the directions.

No it didn't come with dry hops. And I had a wet blanket wrapped around the bucket when it popped. But I sure love a good hoppy beer . Thing is I've never tried a beer from this kit so I really don wanna over do it. I'll probably just see how it turns out and if needed I'll dry hop next time! Wish me luck!

i made my first ipa following a recipe and when I tasted it post boil (granted it's far from beer at that point) I wasn't impressed by the level of hops. I had an extra 1/2 ounce of hops from the recipe so after a week of fermentation I threw them in and let it dry hop for about 10 days, end product was great!

If you are over 70 degrees I would highly encourage you to search swamp cooler and set one up to get those temps down some. During initial fermentation I try to keep mine at 65 or below or else you run the risk of some off flavors from stressed yeast.

Yeah I was 73F when I realizEd I was getting to hot. LoL so I kicked on the a/c put it in a tub of water and wrapped a wet blanket on it . Worked great....next time I will be a little more prepared. And oh yes there all be a next time! Haha just trying to figure out what to try next. Thinking about that Sierra Nevada pale clone!

Back