Hob Goblin - Extract and Steep.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Orfy

For the love of beer!
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Ok I've converted my latest Hobgoblin Recipe to extract and steep.
I've downed the Volume to 5 gallon US
I've done it so you can use a 3 gallon pot (2.5 gallon boil)

If you want to go from a kit to the next step then I'd recommend this.

Hob Goblin

Brew Type: Extract
Style:
English Old Ale
Batch Size: 18.93 LBoil Volume: 9.19 L
Boil Time: 60 min
Brewing Steps Check Time Step
20/12/2006 Clean and prepare equipment.
-- Measure ingredients, crush grains.
-- Prepare 20.55 L water for brewing
-- Steep Specialty Grains
0.17 kg Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain
0.15 kg Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain
0.09 kg Chocolate Malt (450.0 SRM) Grain
-- Add water to achieve boil volume of 9.19 L
-- Estimated Pre-boil Gravity is: 1.115 SG with all grains/extracts added
Boil for 60 min Start to Boil
3.48 kg Pale Liquid Extract (8.0 SRM) Extract
25 gm Styrian Goldings [5.00%] (60 min) (First Wort Hop) Hops
25 gm Fuggles [4.50%] (60 min) (First Wort Hop) Hops
30 min into boil Add 25 gm Styrian Goldings [5.00%] (30 min)
30 min into boil Add 25 gm Fuggles [4.50%] (30 min)
50 min into boil Add 1 tsp Irish Moss (Boil 10.0 min)
60 min into boil Add 12 gm Fuggles [4.50%] (60 min) (Aroma Hop-Steep)
60 min into boil Add 12 gm Styrian Goldings [4.50%] (60 min) (Aroma Hop-Steep)
-- Cool wort to fermentation temperature
-- Add 11.36 L water (as needed) to achieve volume of 18.93 L
-- Siphon wort to primary fermenter and aerate wort.
-- Add Ingredients to Fermenter
Amount Item Type 1 Pkgs Nottingham (Danstar #-) Yeast-Ale
20/12/2006 Measure Original Gravity: ________ (Estimate: 1.056 SG)
20/12/2006 Measure Batch Volume: ________ (Estimate: 18.93 L)
7 days Ferment in primary for 7 days at 20.0 C
27/12/2006 Transfer to Secondary Fermenter
14 days Ferment in secondary for 14 days at 20.0 C
10/01/2007 Measure Final Gravity: ________ (Estimate: 1.013 SG)
-- Bottle beer at 15.6 C with 97.0 gm of dried malt extract.
3.0 Weeks Age for 3.0 Weeks at 15.0 C
31/01/2007 Sample and enjoy!
Taste Rating (50 possible points): 50.0

Snap! Thanks, orfy. I seen your latest recipe but it was in AG so you saved me having to convert it. Now I have to change our bastardized American standards over so I know the equivalants are in your recipe. :cross:

If the American measurement conversion has been done by someone, would you please post?
Also, do you boil the grains, and leave them in the boil when you add the extract, or is there a steeping temp and rinsing, and removal of grains before extract addition? I'm not sure I'm correctly understanding Orfy's recipe above.

This is just a quick in my head conversion based on 5 gallon US.
Hope it helps.
Double check yourself.

0.375 lb Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM) Grain
0.33 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain
0.02 lb Chocolate Malt (450.0 SRM) Grain

Follow steeping procedures. (I don't do this so you'll need to find it elsewhere) DO NOT BOIL Grains

Boil for 60 min Start to Boil

7.6 lbs Pale Liquid Extract (8.0 SRM) Extract
00 min into boil 1oz Styrian Goldings [5.00%] (60 min)
00 min into boil 1oz Fuggles [4.50%] (60 min)
30 min into boil add 1oz Styrian Goldings [5.00%] (30 min)
30 min into boil add 1oz Fuggles [4.50%] (30 min)
50 min into boil add 1 tsp Irish Moss (Boil 10.0 min)
60 min into boil add 0.5oz Fuggles [4.50%] (60 min) (Aroma Hop-Steep)
60 min into boil add 0.5oz Styrian Goldings [4.50%] (60 min) (Aroma Hop-Steep)

Cool, strain and add to fermenter.
Don't forget yeast. Danstar Nottingham goes well.

Is this nice and sweet and malty with just a touch of hoppiness/bitterness and nice floral hop aroma? I'm looking for something as just described for myself and especially for SWMBO. Thanks for the clarification/conversion, Orfy! Is the 0.02 lb (0.09kg) of chocolate malt enough to contribute flavor/color, seems like a very small amount...

Yes and Yes.

It's a lovely dark ruby red (almost brown) the crystal helps.
It 17 SRM

BruColor.jpg

Hobgoblin

"a deliciously dark, full-bodied and rich 'chocolate' malted brew "

The Legendary Hobgoblin Strong Dark Ale

It was in a shadowy corner of the old maltings in Witney that the first gurgle was heard: a delicious, dark, rich ale pouring from the cask.

5.2% ABV 500ml bottle, 5.0% ABV in cask

Hobgoblin is a powerful full-bodied copper red, well-balanced brew. Strong in roasted malt with a moderate hoppy bitterness and slight fruity character that lasts through to the end.

Is your mouth watering yet?

Goldings & Fuggles! I knew there was a reason I liked that bottle last week. I think I'm going to add this to an already too long list of future brews.

On the plus side, I finally floated the Mild and stuck the Black Ale on tap. So, the Brown Porter is up next.

Hobgoblin is my favorite!!! My next project is going to be a Hobgoblin clone. I have a different recipe. I haven't tried it yet but if anyone want's me to post it I will. I am sure this will be my first of many attempts at Hobgoblin. Good luck to all Hobgoblin cloners.

Sounds so yummy I'll have to brew a batch soon! Nice color chart, too, thanks!

My last two brews were Hobgoblin clones. Love it. My first is just about gone and I have to save some for a brewing buddy visiting me in March. Hmmm, I'm gonna taste a recently bottled brew to try it out.
Did I mention that it was a great brew?

I haven't tried this recipe yet but it is on deck. My Progress hops came today. There are 3 options to brew so read to the bottom. I think I will start with the partial mash option if I can get the Marris Otter two-row pale malt. Good luck. If anyone tries this let me know how it comes out. I will post when I get to the first, usually early, taste test phase.

Hobgoblin clone (courtsey of Tess and Mark Szamatulski):

OG=1.059 FG=1.016 SRM = 17.5 IBU=28

6oz. British crystal malt (55 deg L)
1 oz. British chocolate malt
0.5 oz. British black malt
6.5 lbs. Muntons extra light DME
4 oz. malto dextrin
7 AAUs Progress bittering hops (1 oz. of 7% alpha acid)
3.4 AAUs Styrian Goldings flavor hops(0.66 oz. of 5% alpha acid)
2.5 AAUs Styrian Goldings aroma hops(0.5 oz. of 5% alpha acid)
1 tsp. Irish moss
London ale yeast(Wyeast1028) or English ale yeast (White labs WLP002)
0.75 cups priming sugar

Heat 1 gal of water to 155 deg F. Add grain and steep for 30 min. at 150 deg F. Strain grain into brew pot. Sparge w/ 0.5 gal of 150deg F water. Add DME, malto , and bittering hops. Add water to 2.5 gal. Boil 45 min. Add flavor hops and I rish moss. Boil 13 min. Add aroma hops. Boil 2 min. Remove pot from stove and cool 15 min. Strain cooled wort into primary add water to achieve 5gal. when wort is below 80 deg F pitch yeast and aerate well. Ferment at 68-752 deg F for 5-7 days.

Rack to secondary. Ferment at 70 deg for 2.5-3 weeks of FG is reached. Bottle and prime at 70 -72 deg for 2 weeks.

Partial mash option:
Mash 2lbs. Marris Otter two-row pale malt with specialty grains at 150 deg F for 90 min. ommiting 1.5 lb DME. Then follow extract recipe.

All-Grain option:
Mash 2lbs. Marris Otter two-row pale malt with specialty grains at 150 deg F for 90 min. Add 5.3 AAUs Progress bittering hops for 90 min. Add the Irish moss and hops as in the extract recipe.

Hobgoblin = BEST BEER EVER (tasted by me)

I made Orfy's partial boil extract recipie today, I ended up with an OG of 1.052, not quite the 1.056 in the recipie but close.
Can't wait to try it.
Thanks for sharing the recipie, and converting the formula.

Nice, I had my first taste of actual Hobgoblin on draught this past Friday night at the British Beer Company (BBC!) in Walpole, MA -- it was nice! I also had a cask conditioned ale, made by Berkshire brewing, was low on the carbonation and hops, served around 50F, and I thought it was pretty yummy, too. The Hobgoblin got my interest, though -- I think a slightly sweeter version -for my taste -would be perfect, although I thoroughly enjoyed it as served.

bare19672 said:
I made Orfy's partial boil extract recipie today, I ended up with an OG of 1.052, not quite the 1.056 in the recipie but close.
Can't wait to try it.
Thanks for sharing the recipie, and converting the formula.

:mug:

Well done.

Orfy, thanks once again for the recipe, you did tell me to check your conversion from KG to Ounces, I did not.
I was going to ask what to make to pitch on top of this yeast cake but I think I will make your recipe again.
Mine was much lighter in color than you said it would be, so I checked you conversions.

The proper conversion for the grain is
.83 lb Cara-Pils/Dextrine
.73 lb Carmel/Crystal malt
.2 lb Chocolate

After 6 days my gravity is 1.012

Taste of the one I made is good, will be a little hoppy, but will be very drinkable and I suspect a good beer.

I will make the recipe again with more grain and let you know how it goes.

Thanks again,
Barry

Cheers. I edited my post. I was probably, tired, drunk or lazy at the time of working it out. (Probably all 3)

I'm drinking a pint now......What a surprise.

It's still a little green and here is a real roasty flavour coming ot that is not in the original but it's mellowing with time and is making for a very good brew.

My first few where based on the BYO recipe but they don't use the same ingredients as the brewery so mine is an attempt to stay true.

:mug:

ryan99 said:
I haven't tried this recipe yet but it is on deck.
All-Grain option:
Mash 2lbs. Marris Otter two-row pale malt with specialty grains at 150 deg F for 90 min. Add 5.3 AAUs Progress bittering hops for 90 min. Add the Irish moss and hops as in the extract recipe.

Hobgoblin = BEST BEER EVER (tasted by me)

2 pounds of MO just isn't going to make for much more than coloured water.

Thanks orfy -- this looks fantastic! One question: whole or pelletized hops? would it make much difference?

By the way for any of those conversion-challenged brewers out there:
25 gm = 0.88 oz.
12 gm = 0.42 oz

(for some reason, my brewing program didn't convert this right, and I was getting an estimated IBU in the 600-700 range :)

I was just putting together a PM to you Orfy when I started to wake up halfway through my cup of coffee and thought to myself, "Hey, idiot, I bet orfy already posted the recipe!"

Searched 'hobgoblin clone' and viola!

I've been trying to find someone who carries hobgblin around here but none so far. I know someone imports it, I hear of others trying it in the US.

Anyone know what company imports hobgoblin?

I know the beer store carries it, just might have to jump across the border to give it a try in the good ol Canadia eh? :)

This one is qeued up in the coming beer's list! I'm hoping kegging it will give it a slightly creamy texture. From what I've read it can have a watery feel straight from the bottle. That's one thing I'm not a huge fan of, a pint of flavored water. I never did like kool-aid :)

Cheers Orfy! :tank:

drouillp said:
I was just putting together a PM to you Orfy when I started to wake up halfway through my cup of coffee and thought to myself, "Hey, idiot, I bet orfy already posted the recipe!"

Searched 'hobgoblin clone' and viola!

I've been trying to find someone who carries hobgblin around here but none so far. I know someone imports it, I hear of others trying it in the US.

Anyone know what company imports hobgoblin?

I know the beer store carries it, just might have to jump across the border to give it a try in the good ol Canadia eh? :)

This one is qeued up in the coming beer's list! I'm hoping kegging it will give it a slightly creamy texture. From what I've read it can have a watery feel straight from the bottle. That's one thing I'm not a huge fan of, a pint of flavored water. I never did like kool-aid :)

Cheers Orfy! :tank:

You won't be disapointed, this recipe (AG for me) has great body and a very good head from the keg. It's still young and is mellowing but it's got a little bit more to it than a bottled goblin.

Bottled mine last night, was very impressed with the flavor when i took a sample out of the secondary. Can't wait till it's carbonated and matured a little!

I ended up with about 4 gallons in the end due to all the transfering from primary to secondary to bottling bucket etc, i'd better start another batch, got a feeling this one is gonna be gone in a weekend once it's ready! :drunk:

Just an update,

Tried my first bottle today, colour is spot on when side by side with the commercial version.

Tastes great, really great infact. Slightly lighter on the palet than the original but I think it benefits for it. It's a bit more carbonated than the original and has alot more glugability which I love!!!!;)

Over the moon with it to be honest, i've finally made a beer to be proud of, and one that I can really enjoy without trying to convince myself it's nice so I can drink it, (some of my passed efforts have been a bit ropey).

Thanks to Orfy for the recipe :tank:

I'll be doing this one again!

im gonna try to make this, and usin hobgoblin glasses to botle!

orfy, do you shop at the HB shop in stockport? i dno if they will have everythin i need?

XELA said:
im gonna try to make this, and usin hobgoblin glasses to botle!

orfy, do you shop at the HB shop in stockport? i dno if they will have everythin i need?

I tried using hobgoblin bottles but unfortunately i had their larger bottle and my capper doesn't work on them...:confused:

oh right, ill test one out before i collect loads of them them, cheers for the warning!

As far as I know the bottles wychwood use are unsuitable for using again due to them being quite thin glass. I've been collecting the bottles from badger brewery, ie Tanglefoot, First gold, golden glory, Blanford Fly. There quite small holding just under a pint but there strong enough to stand the pressures of cabonation. There also brown so no risk of skunking and the labels are easy to get off ;)

frickin hell blanford fly???? i really dont like it!

do you honestly like that one??

ginger in beer.. it jus doesnt work! but i like other badger beers

XELA said:
frickin hell blanford fly???? i really dont like it!

do you honestly like that one??

ginger in beer.. it jus doesnt work! but i like other badger beers

No, it's not my kind of thing ethier,

I just mentioned it as it was one of Badgers :p

First of all, this is by far the best brew I have made to date. It has been in the bottle for about a month and it is delicious!! So THANK YOU ORFY!!

I have a couple questions though. Is the chocolate malt supposed to be the USA or UK chocolate? I think I made the mistake of using the USA chocolate. Not that it matters, but when I brew this again, which will be soon, I would like to make it “as directed”.

And I know this is posted in one of the threads but what do you recommend for aging? I don’t want to jump the gun and I am already down to about a case(24). I do have a few others to drink in the mean time, and two more going in the bottle.

Thanks again! and here is what I have in beersmith for a recipe:

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 5.00 gal
Boil Size: 4.08 gal
Estimated OG: 1.058 SG
Estimated Color: 15.3 SRM
Estimated IBU: 26.4 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: - %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item
8.00 lb Pale Liquid Extract (8.0 SRM)
0.50 lb Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM)
0.30 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM)
0.19 lb Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM)
0.50 oz Styrian Goldings [5.40%] (60 min)
0.50 oz Fuggles [4.50%] (60 min)
0.50 oz Styrian Goldings [5.40%] (30 min)
0.50 oz Fuggles [4.50%] (30 min)
0.50 oz Fuggles [4.50%] (2 min)
0.50 oz Styrian Goldings [5.40%] (2 min)
1 Pkgs Nottingham Yeast (Lallemand #-)

Back