Very flat beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bloomerjt07

Reaction score
My beer at bottling was very flat, i let it ferment for 10 days, than when i was making a syrup out of the sugar i poured the wort onto the syrup in the bucket while the syrup was still very hot. Is this what killed my carbonization? Is there anyway to revive it, i let it sit in 70 degrees for 10 days and bottled it and put it in the fridge when i tried it had no bubbles. I have taken it out to let it sit at room temperature for 10 more days to see if that will revive it and i'm doing a method i read about to where u shake it every 3 days, will this method help? Could i instead uncap the bottles, add more sugar, recap the bottles, and let them sit? Any tips are appreciated.

If I'm reading this right you.

Fermented the beer for 10 days
Added priming syrup Left it 10 days
Bottled it
Put it in the Fridge for 10 days
Then took it out of the fridge for 10 days.

Or have I read it wrong?

Ferment=10 days
Added Sugar let sit in new bottling bucket=10 days
Been in fridge=1 day
I've taken it out and is now warming up

You won't have any carbonation at bottling time. It's developed IN the bottle. Let it sit a few weeks at room temp, then cool it down.

Added Sugar let sit in new bottling bucket=10 days

Any co2 that was produced has escaped into the atmoshphere. Let it sit at ferment temps for a couple of weeks. If it's still flat, add a very small amount of bottling sugar to each bottle and recap. Leave them at around 70* for a few weeks then try one. A good "How to Brew" book is invaluable and will save lots of fustration.

bloomerjt07 said:
Could i instead uncap the bottles, add more sugar, recap the bottles, and let them sit? Any tips are appreciated.

you can do that if you add the correct amount of sugar. Carbonation drops work also. In the future you prime your beer and straight into the bottle it goes to gas up your beer. leave it in the warm for a few weeks before trying one.

Try this book http://www.howtobrew.com/

Just in case it hasn't been made clear with any of these previous posts: when you add the sugar to the bottling bucket, you need to bottle the beer immediately afterwards. If you let it sit in the bottling bucket for ten days after adding the sugar, the beer will remain flat when bottled. The sugar you added creates more CO2, but you have to put it in the bottles right away to capture the gas. You'll have to add more sugar to carbonate them now.

I wonder where you got the idea of adding priming sugar and then NOT bottling immediately. Did you get some instructions with your kit that were unclear? Watch my video in my sig.

Ya you were trying to do bulk priming but when you added the priming sugar you should of bottled right away. then let it sick for 2-3 weeks in the bottle

Ya the instrutions that came with the kit were not that great... o well thanks guys at least i learned my mistake

I added 5 oz of sugar when i let it sit, how much should i add to each bottle to start fermentation again, what amount of cane sugar that is

Back