overcarbonation or infection?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

baseballstar4

Reaction score
2 of my last 3 batches seem to be overcarbed. After they have been in fridge for at least 48 hours those 2 batches are head heavy and beer light. My LHS guy said maybe I didn't leave the brew ferment long enough, but they were in the fermentation process for at least 3 weeks apiece and my FG readings were right where they should have been.

Did I pick up an infection when racking or bottling? Or is this simply just overcarbonation?

Thanks

2 of my last 3 batches seem to be overcarbed. After they have been in fridge for at least 48 hours those 2 batches are head heavy and beer light. My LHS guy said maybe I didn't leave the brew ferment long enough, but they were in the fermentation process for at least 3 weeks apiece and my FG readings were right where they should have been.

Did I pick up an infection when racking or bottling? Or is this simply just overcarbonation?

Thanks

How much priming sugar do you use?

1. You should be weighing sugar based on style, volume and temp.

2. What was your bottle procedure/sanitizer procedures.

I've had a bottle or two do what you describe. It all stoped once I started disassembling spigots and using starsan and started triple treating bottles.

I brush them with oxyclean, then jet wash them, and finally vintate them with starsan and bottle wet.

How do they taste - if the taste is OK it's over carbed Or you bottled to quick.

I went through 5 batches of bottle side infections so I'm an expert.

I kept changing equipment until I found the problem - bottling bucket - not the spigot but the plastic bucket that held the sanitizer.

1. You should be weighing sugar based on style, volume and temp.

2. What was your bottle procedure/sanitizer procedures.

I've had a bottle or two do what you describe. It all stoped once I started disassembling spigots and using starsan and started triple treating bottles.

I brush them with oxyclean, then jet wash them, and finally vintate them with starsan and bottle wet.

1. Do you have a formula or way to compute the amount of sugar?
2. I used oxyclean and brush with hot water jet wash a couple days prior to bottling. On bottling day I use One-step sanitizer with brush and hot water jet wash.

How do they taste - if the taste is OK it's over carbed Or you bottled to quick.

I went through 5 batches of bottle side infections so I'm an expert.

I kept changing equipment until I found the problem - bottling bucket - not the spigot but the plastic bucket that held the sanitizer.

They taste decent. They do not have any taste or aromas that could be related to any infection that I have researched or found.

The walls of your bottling bucket were carrying the infection?

1. Do you have a formula or way to compute the amount of sugar?
2. I used oxyclean and brush with hot water jet wash a couple days prior to bottling. On bottling day I use One-step sanitizer with brush and hot water jet wash.

Here is an online carbonation calculator:
http://hbd.org/cgi-bin/recipator/recipator/carbonation.html?12014135#tag

Remember, the volume you are bottling is NOT 5 gallons. A mistake I used to make is to not consider my FINAL volume. 3/4 of a cup of corn sugar in 4.5 gallons can be quite bubbly :)

I also finally got my bottle carbonation correct when I got a scale and weighed out the sugar or DME (makes a creamier IMO head).

I like this online calculator.

http://tastybrew.mobify.me/calculators/priming.html

As for one step its not rated to sanitize and does nothing to stop mold at all. I'd grab starsan.

I don't trust my bottles to "stay" clean. I know its silly but I imagine critters seeing h Fresh bottles and going yumm.

I also recommend getting some designated sanitizer and oxy buckets. Don't store or put beer related items into fermentors. So easy to scratch a bucket.

How long were they in conditioning in the bottles and at what temperature, before you put them in the fridge?

Back