Frigidaire Freezer Conversion

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rick500

Reaction score
Done! (Still have to get some secondary regulators, and I'm missing a tap handle, but otherwise done!)

I decided the hinges would be on the lid and the collar would stay in place rather than lift with the lid. But I didn't affix the collar to the freezer; I just put some rubber foam weatherstripping around the bottom of the collar and gravity holds the collar with lid attached in place. Then if I need to, I can just lift the collar/lid off, and more importantly, the freezer is in no way permanently modified so the warranty is still intact.

Here's the weatherstripping I used (the collar and lid assembly is upside-down in the pic).
f2f84f94.jpg

Here's the finished product minus a tap handle:
e609210f.jpg

I installed the taps off to the left not only because I liked the look, but because one more keg will fit in there, so I can drill another hole for another faucet if I want to in the future, and I couldn't have centered four and then added one later and still have everything centered.

Obligatory Perlick showoff shot:
c585db1f.jpg

It's been running now for about 24 hours. I just added a PC case fan (powered by an old Motorola Razr wall charger). I highly recommend a fan. The temperature differential in different spots in my freezer, especially with the 1 x 8 collar, is way too much without it, and the fan evens it right out.

Thinking of adding a nitrogen system... hrm... wonder if it'd be worth it to try to squeeze 5 kegs in there. Might require some reorganization of stuff inside the freezer.

How is the freezer working with the weather stripping? I am about to build one of these and like the idea of not attaching the collar at all, just seems easier. Does it provide a good seal? Also, what part of KY are you in?

The weatherstripping is working perfectly. Honestly, I wouldn't change anything if I were to build this kegerator again. The seal is fine. Gravity holds it all together nicely.

I'm in Louisville, but I'll be in Lexington in a couple weeks to brew in Kentucky Ales' GABF Pro-Am competition.

Any idea how many carboys would fit in there? Looking at getting this one shipped online for a lagering cellar.

Hmmm... From memory, as I'm not where the kegerator is at the moment, I think 3 carboys would fit in there, maybe 4 if you're lucky.

The weatherstripping is working perfectly. Honestly, I wouldn't change anything if I were to build this kegerator again. The seal is fine. Gravity holds it all together nicely.

I'm in Louisville, but I'll be in Lexington in a couple weeks to brew in Kentucky Ales' GABF Pro-Am competition.

I will be at the KY brew off as well! I actually live less than five minutes from the brewery. Maybe I'll see you out there and can get some tips for my build. I am about to get it started in about a week. Do you know what you are going to brew yet for the competition?

Back