Carafa III

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

daveooph131

Reaction score
I have a recipe I would like to try that calls for Carafa III. I can't find it anywhere to buy, is that carafa short for something else? Or what exactly is carafa?

Carafa III is like a dark chocolate malt.
Carafa Special (I/II/III) is dehusked/debittered and lends mostly just color.
Weyermann®

Northern Brewer sells the Carafa Special (De-husked). If you are looking for the regular type, with the husk, then you can sub a black malt around the same Lovibond (I think around 470L for Carafa III).

While I have not used the Carafa III, I have used the Carafa Special III in my Schwarzbier. It lends color and a little aroma.
What is the recipe you would like to use it in? Some brewers have been known to add roasted barley (in very small amounts) to add color. If color you are looking for Weyermann puts out a product called Sinimar which is a coloring agent made from Carafa. You could try that.
For my schwarzbier I use 1% chocolate and 2% carafa special III and it works well.

While I have not used the Carafa III, I have used the Carafa Special III in my Schwarzbier. It lends color and a little aroma.
What is the recipe you would like to use it in? Some brewers have been known to add roasted barley (in very small amounts) to add color. If color you are looking for Weyermann puts out a product called Sinimar which is a coloring agent made from Carafa. You could try that.
For my schwarzbier I use 1% chocolate and 2% carafa special III and it works well.

I'm actually going for a schwarzbier. I took an AG version from the recipe section here and turned into an extract for my purposes. Take a look:

6# Munich LME
1# Dark DME
.3 Crystal 40L
.3 Chocolate Malt
.2 Carafa III

Two questions for this recipe...Should I go to 7# Munich and drop the 1# dark dme? Also, if I don't get Carafa III to steep, what would it be like using black patent, or should I sub with something else?

I'd leave the Dark DME in there. It will add some malt complexity. As for the black malt, personally I would steer clear of using it in this beer. Stick with the Carafa III or a tiny bit of roasted barley.

Ok sounds good....Sorry one more question, I was just reading in the joy of homebrewing that this style beer for extract calls for amber malt extract so should I use that as my majority with a bit of munich lme?

Personally, I would use all Munich extract and half a pound of Carafa Special III.

I don't think the amber is going to make that much of a difference. Stick with your original plan. As far as the Carafa III, I use around seven ounces in a ten gallon batch. IMHO Eight ounces in five gallons sounds over the top to me.

AHS's Schwarzbier recipe has 8oz of Special III. It's definitely not over the top. That beer turns out just like Köstritzer with a touch more crystal malt character.

You really have to make the distinction between Carafa and Carafa Special.

AHS's Schwarzbier recipe has 8oz of Special III. It's definitely not over the top. That beer turns out just like Köstritzer with a touch more crystal malt character.

You really have to make the distinction between Carafa and Carafa Special.
Still sounds over the top to me. What kind of yeast did you use when you brewed up this AHS Schwarzbier? I have been using the WLP 830 or the WY2001 for my lager's and would really love to hear some input on other European lager strains.

FWIW... as mentioned I used the I have used the Carafa III special in my schwarzbier.

What kind of yeast did you use when you brewed up this AHS Schwarzbier?

I used 830. It was a wonderful beer, but still had a touch of diacetyl. I've been using 838/2308 lately and I like it, but it's less attenuative. It's the 002/1968 of lager yeast. Flocculent, no diacetyl.

Next lager yeast I try might be S-189.

Back