AG- Vanilla Bean Porter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

axlrose16

Reaction score
borrowed a recipe from the local Dry Dock Brewery for this one.

Grain bill too long too list (lots of different specialties : maris otter, american 2 row, flaked barley, choc, aromatic, special b, crystal, black pat, etc.)

Mashed at 156 for 60 minutes with no salts added to water (local colorado water is just fine thanks:mug:) Sparged at 180 and hit OG right on.

Boiled 60 minutes full boil - pitched 2.75 oz Willamette @ 30 min, pitched .75 oz East Kent Goldings @ 10 minutes with yeast nutrient and whirlfloc

transferred to 6 gal better bottle, agitated, pitched safale-05

notable activity after just 7 hours, really chugging after about 24 hrs

After pitching yeast I took out 5 madagascar vanilla beans and chopped them up -> put them in mason jar with Appleton Jamaican Rum and sealed -> to be added to secondary before transfer

The color on this porter is going to be fantastic I can tell already...I'll post a picture or two ASAP.

Cheers

3186197805_ee04d7e431.jpg

The beer looks good...

I live in Denver and they use chloramine to treat the water so I always add half of a campden tablet to my batch water and let it sit out over night. My mash ph is usually a bit high but I remedy it with a 1/4t or so of gypsum and a pinch of epsom salt.

5 beans seems like a lot of vanilla - let us know how it turns out...

Latest posts

Back