Specialty IPA: Rye IPA Denny Conn's Wry Smile Rye IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks - Denny. Since I did a double batch, maybe I will try both your suggestions. I am sure I will like the hoppier version. First Rye brew - I am looking forward to this one... (to dry hopping this saturday).

Yeah, 1.025 is a bit high. I shoot for 1.013 from an OG of 1.073.

Damn it! I made a 2L starter from the Wyeast Activator. I haven't had this issue with my other beers lately. Normally, I use harvested S-05 though. What's the usual apparent attenuation of your yeast, Denny? Is there anything else you would suggest I do at this point to maybe dry it out a bit more? Thanks!

Damn it! I made a 2L starter from the Wyeast Activator. I haven't had this issue with my other beers lately. Normally, I use harvested S-05 though. What's the usual apparent attenuation of your yeast, Denny? Is there anything else you would suggest I do at this point to maybe dry it out a bit more? Thanks!

I had a 4qt starter for this one, I never pitch this high, but I think someone on hear recc it. I will check my attenuation as well.

CidahMastah said:
I had a 4qt starter for this one, I never pitch this high, but I think someone on hear recc it. I will check my attenuation as well.

Well, that sounds like the same rate that I pitched, considering I only did 5 gallons. I'd be interested to see your results. I fermented in about 61 degree ambient temp (April is great in my basement), and mashed per the recipe instructions.

Well, that sounds like the same rate that I pitched, considering I only did 5 gallons. I'd be interested to see your results. I fermented in about 61 degree ambient temp (April is great in my basement), and mashed per the recipe instructions.

Ah - I fermented at more like 68F (that is my typical temp goal). I bet the difference will be in the ferment temp. Will be checking in on mine this sat and will let you know what I get.

You may want to try warming up your fermenter to 68F ish and rouse some yeast off the bottom with a racking cane. You might rejuvenate the ferment for a few more points.

Ah - I fermented at more like 68F (that is my typical temp goal). I bet the difference will be in the ferment temp. Will be checking in on mine this sat and will let you know what I get.

You may want to try warming up your fermenter to 68F ish and rouse some yeast off the bottom with a racking cane. You might rejuvenate the ferment for a few more points.

I may try that, but the beer itself is not 61. I would guess it was more like 67. It seems like it should've been fine at that temp. Maybe not though. I'll let you know if I can get it down any further.

It depends a lot on the wort, of course, but I usually see 73-80% attenuation with it.

I just did a reading on my FG - I was able to get 1.018 - 1.019 for my F.G. Good Stuff!

I just kegged my batch today. It finished at 1.024:( I washed the yeast and will hope for better next time. It's still quite good. I wonder if it just does better in the mid to upper sixties.

Not too far off Vanholton. I am about to keg my batch this sat - can't wait!

Will be trying a partially carbed glass of this tonight - looking forward to it big time - will post back on my thoughts on the brew!

Denny - you have outdone yourself here - this is fantastic.

I am not a wheat or rye beer guy in general - this is excellent half carbed!

This is quite a balance with the Columbus hops, first time using them and they will be a lb buy this year for sure. There is a really nice body to the beer and the interplay with the rye and hops is really simply fantastic.

Thanks! Is there a "blush" emoticon?

:eek: - haha

Seriously - fantastic. I have been thinking about it all day, can't wait to get home and have another pint. It is still almost thick right now with hops sucking in through the keg tube but I couldn't help but have 2 pints last night. I am sure it will tone down, but I would love it if it stayed the same.

This is a sipping IPA for sure. My favorite kind of IPA.

I am going to track down any other recipes you are showcasing - ha!

I was planning a belgian wit for this weekend brewing - now I found myself thinking... can I squeeze out the wit and another wry IPA?

Hi guys, I just saw a "hopbursted" version of this, where the 60 minute addition of Columbus was subbed for a larger 20 minute addition.

Denny, what is your final verdict for hops before I brew this beer for the 4th time?

I did a hopbursted version (actually a couple times) and I didn't think it was good as the "original recipe". It just didn't seem to have the hop punch I expect from that recipe.

:eek: - haha

Seriously - fantastic. I have been thinking about it all day, can't wait to get home and have another pint. It is still almost thick right now with hops sucking in through the keg tube but I couldn't help but have 2 pints last night. I am sure it will tone down, but I would love it if it stayed the same.

As I've said before, this recipe was designed to my wife's tastes. She likes it best when there's a layer of lupulin from the keg hops in the bottom of her glass!

Thanks Denny! I still can't get the punch you describe. But we haven't done water treatment until recently. Living with NYC soft water...

While I have you here, what other recipes do you find to be a "must-brew" ?

As I've said before, this recipe was designed to my wife's tastes. She likes it best when there's a layer of lupulin from the keg hops in the bottom of her glass!

My wife would quiver at the hops - she is a witbier, heffe kind of girl. She will tolerate some IPAs but they are not her thing. Lucky for you, you can brew this and tell her you did it for her only! Lucky for me - all this wry smile is for me ha

Thanks Denny! I still can't get the punch you describe. But we haven't done water treatment until recently. Living with NYC soft water...

While I have you here, what other recipes do you find to be a "must-brew" ?

If you're not doing it already, a heaping tsp. of gypsum in the boil does wonders for the hops.

Hmmmm, must brew....of mine, I'd say Nick Danger porter is damn good of you're a porter freak. My Milo's alt recipe is a multiple award winner that people really seem to like, too. Other recipes, Sister Star of the Sun is a CLASSIC INCREDIBLE IPA that's been popular for the last 15 years. When you look at it, you freak out over the amount of Chinook, but brew it exactly as it's written. I'll try to think of some others, too.

If you're not doing it already, a heaping tsp. of gypsum in the boil does wonders for the hops.

Hmmmm, must brew....of mine, I'd say Nick Danger porter is damn good of you're a porter freak. My Milo's alt recipe is a multiple award winner that people really seem to like, too. Other recipes, Sister Star of the Sun is a CLASSIC INCREDIBLE IPA that's been popular for the last 15 years. When you look at it, you freak out over the amount of Chinook, but brew it exactly as it's written. I'll try to think of some others, too.

Denny - do you have these recipes posted up? I would be interested in checking them out. I love porters, IPAs ans stouts especially - but let's be honest - I love all beer types in their own right

I've put a lot of them in the AHA recipe wiki. BTW, that's a great resource you should all be aware of! I'm working on getting all my best recipes there.

http://wiki.homebrewersassociation.org/NickDangerPorter

http://wiki.homebrewersassociation.org/MilosAlt

Thanks Denny - I wasn't aware of this resource - so I really appreciate it.

It is also nice to know tried and true recipes.

Just checked out SSoS as well - awesome about the chinook - a definite keeper recipe as I love chinook. Consequently I just planted two chinook rhizomes this year for my love of Arrogant Bastard

Best,

Denny - Off topic but - tough to read that promash recipe. One question - is that a 154F single infusion for 60 minutes? Looks like you are noting it cooled to 152F after 60 minutes, but I wanted to be sure.

Thanks!

Denny - Off topic but - tough to read that promash recipe. One question - is that a 154F single infusion for 60 minutes? Looks like you are noting it cooled to 152F after 60 minutes, but I wanted to be sure.

Thanks!

Which recipe? I think you're correct, but I should double check to be sure.

Denny - just wanted to say thank you for the recipes. I brewed both the Wry Smile and BVIP for a graduation party this past weekend and both were a huge hit. The IPA was gone in an hour, the BVIP in about 2. Some very happy drinkers that night so many thanks for the recipes!

Oop! That would be your nick danger robust porter

You're correct...I just entered what had happened in real life. It's not calling for a step mash by any means, just a 154 single infusion. I really love that recipe. I'd burned out on porters until I came up with Nick Danger.

You're correct...I just entered what had happened in real life. It's not calling for a step mash by any means, just a 154 single infusion. I really love that recipe. I'd burned out on porters until I came up with Nick Danger.

I figured that... a step mash of 154 to 152 was just nuts :) - but had to ask.

Very cool - I like one recipe I got from a midwest kit, but Nick Danger will be the next porter I brew :) Very much looking forward to it.

Just tasted a sample of this from the carboy 7 days after dry hopping and it is delicious. I ended up pulling about 6 ounces and drinking it uncarbonated.

I take 8-12 oz. gravity samples and put them in a 20 oz. PET bottle after getting my reading. Put on a carbonator cap and hit it with 30 psi. 45 min. in the freezer and I've got a cold carbonated sample.

I take 8-12 oz. gravity samples and put them in a 20 oz. PET bottle after getting my reading. Put on a carbonator cap and hit it with 30 psi. 45 min. in the freezer and I've got a cold carbonated sample.

Is a carbonator cap something your made? Or is this something that you bought somewhere? cool idea.

Hi all, quick question, only related because I'm making this beer again.
I just got the yeast and it started to swell in transit :(

here is the schedule,

Friday: Yeast starter on stir plate (1.5 liter)
Saturday night: fridge to settle
Sunday: Decant in morning, add new wort 3 hours before pitching...

Is this too fast? Usually I give more time on stir plate and in the fridge. Am I rushing things, and would I be better off pitching entire starter?

Back