stuck knob on new micromatic regulator

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

amishland

Reaction score
I just bought this dual pressure dual gauge regulator from micromatic.

I havent contacted them yet but wanted to ask here first.

One of the regs turns easy and the other looks to be all the way out and stuck.
Should I hit it with a big wrench or is ther something im missing?

642-Battery.jpg

Note this has never been hooked up

I'd wait til you talk to customer service.

Let THEM tell you to hit it with a wrench. If that breaks it they're liable.

On the bonnet (where the adjustment knob is), there is a locking ring (behind the adjustment knob) that can be screwed down to prevent changing the pressure. Make sure that isn't tightened.

Those premium regulators from Micromatic are some of the best in the business. I have a couple of them and have never had any problems with them. I'd be willing to bet money that Baron ken is correct and that the locking ring on the one that won't move is tightened down. Turn the locking ring ccw to loosen it and the adjustment knob should turn.

FWIW, the adjustment knobs turn clockwise (screw in toward bonnet) to increase output pressure.

Hit it with a wrench! Stomp it! Whip it against a brick wall! Run it over with an SUV! Only after you loosen the locking ring.;)

Those premium regulators from Micromatic are some of the best in the business. I have a couple of them and have never had any problems with them. I'd be willing to bet money that Baron ken is correct and that the locking ring on the one that won't move is tightened down. Turn the locking ring ccw to loosen it and the adjustment knob should turn.

FWIW, the adjustment knobs turn clockwise (screw in toward bonnet) to increase output pressure.

Do those premium regulators from Micromatic have check valves in the shutoffs? They don't say on their web site.

Are those 3/8th OD barbed connectors more prone to leaks than the 1/4 inch flare connectors?

Sorry i forgot I posted this question, the locking nut is not preventing it from turning.

I am going to send an email to micromatic tonight.

Do those premium regulators from Micromatic have check valves in the shutoffs? They don't say on their web site.

Are those 3/8th OD barbed connectors more prone to leaks than the 1/4 inch flare connectors?

No, they are not check valves. They are only shutoff valves. I replaced mine with the 1/4" shutoff/check valves from Northern Brewer. Neither are more prone to leaks as long as they are both installed correctly. I use Oetiker clamps on any barb fittings that I have, and all my flare connectors that have metal to metal contact have the plastic washers installed to make a leak free connection.

Sorry i forgot I posted this question, the locking nut is not preventing it from turning.

I am going to send an email to micromatic tonight.

It doesn't turn at all in either direction (CW or CCW)? Try getting a wrench on the bonnet and remove that. Then you will be able to see if there is something wrong inside. You won't damage anything removing the bonnet so Micromatic won't say anything if you do have to return it.

There's not much to them inside.

12.gif

johnsma, nice picture, which part do you want me to open up? #3?

it will not turn ccw or cw...

johnsma, nice picture, which part do you want me to open up? #3?

it will not turn ccw or cw...

Yes, you want to unscrew the bonnet (part# 3) CCW. The flats are cast right into the bonnet. Use an adjustable wrench, not a pipe wrench or channel locks with serrations that would mark up the bonnet. It's in there tight, but it will come off.

Once it's off you should be able to determine what is causing the adjustment knob to be stuck. The diagram that I posted is exactly what you will find inside of Micromatic's Premium Regulators.

update: Micromatic is sending me a return ups shipping label and will look at it and repair or replace under there 1 yr warranty.

Back