parti gyle recipe help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CliffMongoloid

Reaction score
I want to try and attempt a parti gyle brew
My proposed recipe is below (grain only)

Beer #1
15 lbs 2 row
2 lbs victory
8 oz crystal 80
8 ox carapils
Collect 8 gallons and start first brew

2nd beer

Leave mash and add the below
7lbs 2 row
4 oz chocolate malt
4 oz special b
Collect 8 gallons and start second brew

Am i anywhere close to understanding partigyle?

The way I understand it is that you take a fairly high OG grain bill and mash in with your total water (plus the absorbed water for the grain), drain and start your boil. Then just add the second runnings water and a third runnings water to the grain bill without adding anything to it. First beer should be similar to an Imperial and the second beer will be very low OG. Say first one is a 1.090 and the second one would be 1.045. I haven't done one yet, but having been trying to find the right recipe for my 'big' beer that would translate down well for the 'little' beer.

Well i tried to come up with something today.... I think I'm gonna mash the base malts then steep specialty grains... I used 37% efficiency for the first beer and 28% for the second... Pics of recipes below

ForumRunner_20131022_102850.png

ForumRunner_20131022_102903.png

you CAN ADD grains for the 2nd gyle, it's called "capping"

kai's spreadsheet has a cell (E31) you can enter these additional grains. they can be base malts and/or steeping grains. leave them in for 15 - 20 minutes and you're good

looks good, but redo if you want to add grain to 2nd gyle

oh nice thats helpful

I think my plan should be mash the 25lbs with 32 quarts water. while im collecting this i will steep my speciality grains. then start the boil. While this is happening i will "cap" with my speciality grains and a lb of 2 row, then add another 32 quarts water. I will do a 90 min second on this to help with conversion. I will then mash out and collect the wort- once this is collected i will do a third mash with a lb of 2 row added for a short mash- collect and add to to hopefully already boiled 2 nd runnings. I plan on doing a 90 min second boil

This should be interesting i will need to decicate a whole day to this i believe, i should only be adding about 2 hours to the process- i need another burner if this works out!

but thanks for the help everyone.

This should be interesting i will need to decicate a whole day to this i believe, i should only be adding about 2 hours to the process

first time doing it, I would definitely count on an all-day brew day.

I've only done it once, going to make it an annual holiday thing. brew up a barleywine for the following Christmas, then whatever Irish beer I want for my birthday/St Paddy's day.

but the boils might have to be on separate days. it was just too much to do it in one day; last year I waited until the next day to do the 2nd gyle

Back