commercial keg foaming

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MagicBrownies

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Hello all,

Built a 5 tap coffin keezer earlier in the year and have enjoyed about 6 kegs of homebrew without a problem until now. I went and got a keg of yuengling to drop in the keezer b/c I had a break in the pipline. All of my homebrews have carbed up and poured great on about 8-10 psi. All 5 taps have 10 feet of beer line. Keezer is set to 38 coffin is cooled with fans to 40.
So first I put the yuengling on the same psi and it was pouring foamy but tasting flat. then, after doing a little research on here, I realized that I needed to increase the psi. Anyways, I tried 12-14 psi, and now I am at 16 psi, but still pretty much getting the same results. The first pint is 80% foam and after that it gets a little better but the taste is still under carbed

Looking for some ideas/advice??

Thanks in advance!!:mug:

I should also add that I never balanced my draft system per se but like I said previosly I did a little research and decided to use 10 ft lines (3/16) and all the homebrews have poured perfectly

Hey, I'm new around here but since I'm doing a lot of research with my own keg problems I had a thought about yours. Did you purge your commercial keg so that when you added the CO2 to it, it wasn't over pressurized for what your system is balanced for. Just a thought.

I think Yuengling is carbed to ~2.9 vol, which requires 15-16 psi at 38°, so you have the pressure where it needs to be now. The reason it tastes flat is because you're losing a lot of carbonation from the foaming. To get a good pour with less foam at that higher pressure you need more resistance. This is usually done by using longer lines, but you can also put some epoxy mixer sticks in the diptubes and use the lines you have.

Another option would be to degas the keg of Yuengling until it's at a carb level closer to what you've been using for your homebrew.

I had this same problem with a keg from Ballast Point; was told by several people here that you have to completely vent the commercial keg and then start with a very low PSI until you get the foam/head that you want. I never got the commercial keg dialed in and ended up drinking a lot of foamy beer just before I left the States :mad:

Thanks for the replies... Juan, How do the mixer sticks solve the problem? Also what length of beer line do You think I would need? (If I didn't use the sticks)

Tha nks

Back