Saved yeast from primary- Just dump into new brew or use starter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GroosBrewz

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have never re-used my yeast before and I wanted to try it out.. I have a Wyeast 1056 cake that I used in an IPA the other day. On Friday, I racked to 2ndary and dumped the dregs from the primary into a sanitized growler and put into the fridge. I am making a new beer this sunday and was wondering if I can just dump the whole works into the new beer or if I should use it to create a starter and dump that in the beer? Thanks!

Pitching the whole cake is way in excess of what you need. If you look at Mr. Malty's piching rate calculator I think you need about 2 cups of a thin slurry. Either way I'm sure it'll make beer.

Bull

Pitching the whole cake is way in excess of what you need. If you look at Mr. Malty's piching rate calculator I think you need about 2 cups of a thin slurry. Either way I'm sure it'll make beer.

Bull

The amount you want to use will depend on the OG of your second beer, but 2 cups would work well for most beers.

I regularly recycle my yeast in just that way, with no problems. I just use Ball jars and usually fill one up after the primary, then chuck it in the fridge. For the next batch that has similar characteristics, I just let it warm to room temperature before pitching, and can't say I have had any off-flavors. I currently have a dark/low hop, light/high hop, and high abv strains going that always seem to do the trick for any basic ale I am doing.

Latest posts

Back