Thermowell for Love controller?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sourmash

Reaction score
I am getting close to wiring up my Brutus build and just bought a thermowell from Northern Brewer and the outer diameter of the thermometer probe is to big to fit inside of the thermowell. Just curious where people are getting their thermowells from or if there is another way to get the probe inside the barrel? I am using standard keggles and the outside diameter of the thermometers are about 5/16".

Thanks

Are you using the thermistor that comes with the controller? We'll be getting ours from Derrin (Brewers Hardware) - his are slightly larger and they should fit as I understand.

Are you using the thermistor that comes with the controller? We'll be getting ours from Derrin (Brewers Hardware) - his are slightly larger and they should fit as I understand.

Yes the thermistors that come with the TS controllers.

I am getting close to wiring up my Brutus build and just bought a thermowell from Northern Brewer and the outer diameter of the thermometer probe is to big to fit inside of the thermowell. Just curious where people are getting their thermowells from or if there is another way to get the probe inside the barrel? I am using standard keggles and the outside diameter of the thermometers are about 5/16".

Thanks

Try this site. They have thermowells for probes up to 0.29".

http://www.brewershardware.com/probes.htm

Good luck and cheers!!! :tank:

If I remember right Lonnie encountered the same problem. From reading another post someone elsehad the same problem and he commented on the post saying to remove the black coating on the love probe. It will fit then. Im not 100% sure but may want to do some research before buying a new thermowell.

If I remember right Lonnie encountered the same problem. From reading another post someone elsehad the same problem and he commented on the post saying to remove the black coating on the love probe. It will fit then. Im not 100% sure but may want to do some research before buying a new thermowell.

That is correct! I just removed the vinyl coating with a small fine file. I found a shiny brass new probe underneath that fit a standard corny dip-tube type thermowell perfectly.

That is correct! I just removed the vinyl coating with a small fine file. I found a shiny brass new probe underneath that fit a standard corny dip-tube type thermowell perfectly.

Thanks for the heads up Lonnie! Unfortunately I removed the black cover and the thermistor is still to big. The diameter of the thermistor is .255" and my thermowell inside diameter I got from Northern Brewer is just over .200". Just curious where you got your thermowell?

Thanks in advance!

Thanks for the heads up Lonnie! Unfortunately I removed the black cover and the thermistor is still to big. The diameter of the thermistor is .255" and my thermowell inside diameter I got from Northern Brewer is just over .200". Just curious where you got your thermowell?

Thanks in advance!

Humm, you have me curious now! So I went and took my dial calipers and did a check. I am reading pretty much at .250. A spot or two at maybe .252... But in checking, it reminded me of another thing I had a problem with. I believe you and I have the same thermowell although mine came from Morebeer; the 12" diptube thermowell that comes with the stopper?

Yea, another thing I had to do was open up the opening at the flare of the tube. In the flaring process, it will decrease the id of the tube quite a bit. I worked this back open using a smooth .250" phillips screwdriver so the opening of the diptube was back to normal... If you have the same tube, you may want to give this a try! Also, there is plenty of brass there too. May want to really shine that up with some light sand paper. Let me know how this all works out my friend!

I had the same issue - I removed the black outer coating, and still didn't fit. I just took some 200 grit sandpaper to it until it did.

Works great!

I used a Dremel with one of those little green stone grinders on it to open the end up on mine. Worked great.

Thanks to all! I did as you suggested Lonnie and took a 1/4 diameter phillips screw driver and opened up the flare at the end of the thermowell, and then I sanded a bit of the brass off and now the thermistors slide in there no probalmo! Wiring this week and hopefully brewing for the first time in the next week or two.

Also, jf323 thanks for the link! I ordered 2 of them and will work nicely with my quick disconnect I made similar to Lonnie's. Only difference is I used the polysulfonen QD fittings instead of brass. I'll post some new pictures soon.

Back