Anyone else brew on Christmas Eve or Christmas Day?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DavidSteel

Reaction score
I brewed on both. AG Oatmeal Stout on the eve and AG Celebration Ale clone today (Christmas day).

I'll tell yah, getting up at 8 a.m. to hand-mill 14lbs of grain on Christmas morning is one hell of a way to start your day! Just finished brewing it, but unfortunately my stopper fell in >:[. Now I'll have to go to my LHBS to buy a new one tomorrow. Anyone know the best stopper for a 6.5 gallon glass carboy?

A few pictures from yesterday (oatmeal stout):
19757_215626927676_517337676_3258881_5346612_n.jpg

Fffffuuuuuu-
19757_212706767676_517337676_3247960_3456260_n.jpg

19757_215627077676_517337676_3258901_6880596_n.jpg

and today (celebration ale):
19757_216660652676_517337676_3264064_7646696_n.jpg

19757_216660677676_517337676_3264066_3312684_n.jpg

19757_216660702676_517337676_3264069_3634423_n.jpg

19757_216660727676_517337676_3264071_2997903_n.jpg

Hops for boil additions
19757_216660742676_517337676_3264072_6218266_n.jpg

There's not even enough room in the kitchen for me to make a starter :(

The Gf Got me a "Brewers Best" American Cream Ale kit for christmas this morning...(most likly because its her favorite) hehe, anyways I brewed that up today using my new 40qt alu pot and a $50 100,000 BTU burner from home depot along with a 30' CF chiller ...all new equipment but I think it turned out great...will see

The Gf Got me a "Brewers Best" American Cream Ale kit for christmas this morning...(most likly because its her favorite) hehe, anyways I brewed that up today using my new 40qt alu pot and a $50 100,000 BTU burner from home depot along with a 30' CF chiller ...all new equipment but I think it turned out great...will see

I hope you oxided the kettle before using it. See https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/faq-aluminum-pots-boil-kettles-49449/
"- Boiling your wort in an aluminum pot will cause off-flavours in your beer. FALSE. Simply boiling a batch of wort will not remove enough metal from your aluminum pot to get into your beer and cause metallic off flavours, particularly if you build up a passive oxide layer inside the pot first. For new pots, this is easily achieved by either boiling the pot full of water for 30 mins to one hour, or by putting it in your oven for 10 mins at 350 F."

No brewing but I just bottled a couple of beers. I plan on brewing next week, sometime, though.

Here in the midwest, with the big snowstorm, I couldn't go anywhere so I bottled a Peach Wheat and made a batch of wine today. I would have liked to brew some beer, as I have a Kolsch on deck, but ran out of time.

Nope, but I'll be putting on a batch of EdWort's Robust Porter tomorrow with a couple of spontaneous modifications, because that's just how I roll. :) Nothing crazy... just bumping up the roasted barley a bit to increase the coffee perception, and maybe racking a gallon off after primary onto some cracked juniper berries...

I brewed my 4th ever batch, a Belgian Dubbel on Christmas eve. It was fun sharing the kitchen with my wife and son who were making cookies for santa.....

I hope you oxided the kettle before using it. See https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/faq-aluminum-pots-boil-kettles-49449/
"- Boiling your wort in an aluminum pot will cause off-flavours in your beer. FALSE. Simply boiling a batch of wort will not remove enough metal from your aluminum pot to get into your beer and cause metallic off flavours, particularly if you build up a passive oxide layer inside the pot first. For new pots, this is easily achieved by either boiling the pot full of water for 30 mins to one hour, or by putting it in your oven for 10 mins at 350 F."

yup boiled 5 gal of water in it for about 30 min, everything turned nice and black ...then it was time for the wort

Made a Belgian Dark Strong on the 23rd... Only a few disasters... Hop filter got a little clogged up, efficiency sucked butt, forgot my candi sugar but was able to add and reboil, but all in all, it was a good day...

Just got back from my LHBS and got the small universal carboy band and also a 50lb bag of 2-row for 40 bucks ;>. The universal stopper is awesome.

Too busy making pierogies with SWMBO to brew! Brewing Monday, East coast storm has everything locked down, good day for it.

Brewed today. We were supposed to go see my parents and the inlaws today, but the snow kept us from making the hour-long trip. So instead of brewing tomorrow, I did it today! Kegged up my Smoked Rye and latest IIPA and an Apfelwein. Brewed a Dubbel, an IPA, and another Apfelwein. Good times!

I did make a starter for the beers on the 24th... does that count?

Yeah, I brewed christmas day. Knew I was getting my new boil kettle, so had to break it in while also cooking the turkey. Trying to time my turkey basting in the kitchen (every 30 mins) with the all grain batch on the back deck was interesting.

This is an excellent idea. I may have a brewday on Christmas day.. Its the only holiday out of the year I have off. Walmart employee.

I have a Brown Ale planned for Christmas day. I've been looking forward to it all week. I'm not thoroughly convinced I shouldn't brew it tomorrow... :)

I'm brewing 4 beers before years end. On Christmas eve I'm brewing a black IPA.

I'm debating doing a bell's 2 hearted clone on Christmas just because it's a free day and the house will be dirty from the holiday anyway.

I will be brewing a dunkelweizen tomorrow, had to take a break in the middle of a party at my place tonight to make a yeast starter....

I'm brewing an all Amarillo IPA on Christmas Day. SWMBO (nurse) is working on Christmas, so we're doing our extended family Christmas celebration on the 24th as far as family get together, fellowship and meal. Presents for the kids will still be (early) Christmas morning. Brew day for dad in the afternoon! I'm also smoking a ham and making a small meal just for us on Christmas, so I'll be tending to the smoker and the brew kettle at the same time. If the wife wasn't working, I would not be brewing.

I just got my replacement pumps today, so I'm thinking about it finally finishing the brew I started a couple weeks ago. I have to go to a friend's house for Christmas day, but might brew on the eve. I sorta want a bit more time to do a test run with the pumps first, though.

Yeah I am really new to this and I mean my ipa and later have been fermenting for 7 hours I just started I am gonna bee my Irish stout from my coopers DIY kit Christmas eve good luck to you check my earlier post and tell me what you think merry Christmas to all beer and wine brewers out there happy new year!!!

Latest posts

Back