Favorite Christmas/ Winter Beers

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pschof

Reaction score
Just visited my local liquor store which allows mixing and matching 6-packs. Seems like a lot of the Christman/Winter beers are out. I got something called Troegs Mad Elf, Weyerbacher Winter Ale, and some other stuff. Looking forward to giving them a try. What are some people's favorites?

Morgan Street pub in St. Louis had a winter brew several years ago that I thought was really good. It was before my days of brewing so I couldn't tell you the name or any specifics. Sorry. All I remember was a slight/moderate cinnamon aftertaste.

Favorite commercial winter beers

St. Bernadus Bier De Noel, Pike's auld acquaintance and new belgium's 2 below

I usually like the Anchor Steam Special Holiday Ale. They brew a different recipe every year. Some are good, others are great, I haven't had a "bad one" yet.

I like the Red Hook Brewery Winter Brew. Red Hook is becoming one of my favorite commercial breweries. They make beers that I would make. When my pipeline runs dry I go to the store and usually pick up something from Red Hook.

Anchor's Our Special Ale. It tastes great with some home made chocolate chip cookies.

I tried two tonight at the local pub. I started with the Sam Adams Winter Lager. I usually enjoy it, but for some reason, it flopped a bit this year. I'll try it in the bottle to see if it was a matter of kegged v. bottle or possibly some unclean lines at the pub.

Next, I tried the Blue Point Winter. That was delicious. Had a nice balanced maltiness to it. If I get back there, I'll try the Red Hook and the Harpoon Winter Ale.

I tried Flying Dog's winter ale this weekend and it was great, sounds strange but it taste like an xmas tree, which is good IMO.

What exactly makes a beer a Christmas beer? Is it the spices? Higher ABV? What is it that you like in your holiday brew?

Although it's not a Christmas beer in the sense that it's spiced or anything and has a Christmasy label on it, I'd say Avec les Bons Voeux de la Brasserie Dupont. It's the special version of Saison Dupont that they originally started brewing around Christmas to give to their best customers as a gift, and have since released it annually to the rest of us. :D

It's gotta be Troegs Mad Elf for me. Local brew, nice complex taste, and a great warmer-upper on those cold winter days. Costs an arm and a leg, though...

It's not the greatest beer in the world, but it doesn't feel like the holidays if I don't have a few Sam Adams' Old Fezziwig Ales.

Great Divide Hibernation Ale...BAR NONE the BEST winter warmer there is!

Take the bottle out of the fridge and let it warm up a bit...pour it in your favorite ceramic vessel, pick your favorite seat in the house, pet the dog, and know what it feels like to be a king! lol

Seriously, this beer gets better and better the longer it sits in your glass. The first sip...if it's too cold...you'll be like, "Yeah, it's alright." But when it warms up, and your taste buds pick up all the subtle flavors...it's a beer that my friend describes as,

"It feels like I should be drinking this with blood on my axe, and a turkey leg in my other hand. Like I'm a medieval warrior, just finished with my day of killing and plundering, and I'm about to take some skanky wench as my spoils of war!"

lol...hopefully you guys get that too.

Just visited my local liquor store which allows mixing and matching 6-packs. Seems like a lot of the Christman/Winter beers are out. I got something called Troegs Mad Elf, Weyerbacher Winter Ale, and some other stuff. Looking forward to giving them a try. What are some people's favorites?

I live in Mechanicsburg (right outside of Harrisburg, where Troegs is located) and Mad Elf is one fine winter beer. I'm also originally from outside of Easton, where Weyerbacher is located. Another excellent winter beer. Excellent choices!

A couple of years ago, a few buddies and I tried as many winter ales in one weekend as we could get our hands on. We also did three year vertical tastings of Jubelale and Celebration.

Favorite was the St. Bernadus. Three year aged Jubelale as probably second but the most enthusiastic.

Red Hook Winterhook was the surprise. We all typically hate Red Hook beers, but this one was quite drinkable.

My local favorite is probably Boundary Bay Cabin Fever. Ninkasi Sleigh'r is also becoming much-loved and is available in bottles for the first time this year.

One of our surprise least favorites was Anchor's Christmas Ale (this was in 2007, I've aged some bottles since then and it's gotten much better with age).

By far the worst beer I have ever tasted in my life is Anheiser Busch's fake craft beer Winter's Bourbon.

I just picked up some Pennsylvania Brewing Co. St. Nikolaus Bock. The one I drank was amazing, the other I'm putting in my collection. Batch #001

i just bottled a winterfest ale kit from the Brew House, it has 7.5% alcohol and had a clear cinnamon and nutmeg flavor to it... should be good

Maritime Jolly Roger. Eagerly awaited it hitting the shelves in Seattle.

Is it even coming out this year? Their taproom is closed and I've read that they moved a few blocks away. I couldn't find their new taproom. Maybe that explains why I can't find ANY Maritime brews in any store. If I'm wrong, I'd love to know where to get some. Oh yeah... Suppose it goes without saying thy jolly Roger is my favorite. I'm drinking a Dick's doulbe diamond right now that's good. Nice dried fruits with the loads of c120.

By far the worst beer I have ever tasted in my life is Anheiser Busch's fake craft beer Winter's Bourbon.

I agree one of the few beers I ended up dumping. Tried to get visitors to drink the rest of the six pack down over the course of six months. Needless to say no one ever wanted another, and most were dumped shortly after being opened.

Pyramid Snow Cap and Full Sails Wassail are great. I look forward to having them all fall and I'm sad in the spring when they're gone.

red hook winter hook is awesome in its simplicity, no spices, no frills. A strong, dark, well balanced, malt forward ale. Almost reminds of a stronger scotch ale.

New Belgium 2 below is great.

Back