Floating Thermometer=FAIL

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BillyVegas

Reaction score
Broken Floating Thermometer in the last 15 minutes of my heady Breakfast Oatmeal/Maple/Molasses/Vanilla/Bourbon stout.

Why the hell did I even keep it in there mid-boil?

Moral of the story... Stick to the clip on candy-therms or the Digital therm... Boot your floating thermometers!

Still deciding if I should do a super-careful strain and cool-down or ditch it. The thermometer casing broke... looks like some of the red wax/epoxy type stuff may have leaked in... as well as some of the steel balls. The thermometer itself inside seems fine.

Stupid damn $7 floating thermometers!!

Did you ditch your batch or use it as an exercise in not getting ANYTHING near your Primary from the trub....

May not be a bad exercise since this will be my first Shirron Plate Chiller usage as well...

I don't think Im ditching this brew... too promising.

I'll be the guinea pig... I'll make sure nothing goes in that damn primary except sweet, sweet wort.

I keep seeing these threads and it has me thinking "you can tall I have had a few tonight" what about using the stainless racking cane with the stainless screens. To me it would be an excuse to buy on.

Wow- didn't know stainless racking equipment existed... with filters no less.

I'd love to get one with some kind of.. three stage filter equipment that I could disassemble for easy cleaning.. that would be epic.

Just pitched WL Londan Ale Yeast... After leaving the trub and sorting through it... saw LOTS of those little balls in it. Luckily, my painters mesh didnt allow ANY trub garbage through the chiller...

LOVE THIS SHIRRON as well... Chilled out to probably a perfect average of 70F... 66degF on the top reading with a IR Therm, and about 80+/-F on the bottom with a digi-prod therm... Averages out good enough for me... very awesome chiller.

Back