threading poly carbonate tubing ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sanch

Reaction score
i am working on my build and i need sight glasses the most cost effective method i can think of is to thread the poly carbonate. on the web sight it say's that it machines easily, the tube is 9/16 id 11/16 od AS CLOSE TO ACTUAL PIPE DIAMETER AND THICKNESS I COULD FIND. i plan to take it to home depot and have them put it on there threader, any ideas befor i order the tubing?????

every home depot i've been to uses a threading machine made by rigid, just like the one we have at my work. unfortunately, that type of machine will scratch and mar the tubing even if your wrap it with tape.... i've tried it myself...

best to buy a die and do it yourself by hand. lexan threads very easily and you don't need a big motorized threader to thread it.

Home Depto will most likely have a die that size. You'll ahve to order one yourself. Get some water-basted tap fluid as well. I just used dish soap when I tapped some acrylic.

B

I would keep looking for a cheap compression elbow on ebay or if you're in a hurry, use brass. Replace the metal ferrule with a few orings. Putting threads into the polycarb is going to weaken the wall at that spot and fitting. When the fitting heats up, you might get some leaking.

From the dimensions given the tubing will be to thin to thread, it would be best if you go the compression fitting and O ring route as described by Bobby M. The second choice method would be to Epoxy the tubing into a 1/2" pipe nipple or copper tubing adapter.

i have not ye purchased the tubing i have not yet found any that has a diameter and wall thickness that i am happy with. i have a hand die MARSZIT how does it hold up could this work or should i just order a comp fitting

i re-read your first post and see that the tubing you're thinking about is only 1/8" thick... that might not thread very well because you won't be able to cut many threads on it. 3/16" wall would be better.

yep, McMaster has a decent selection of tubing.

here in the seattle area, i get mine from a place called cadillac plastics. they have all sorts of cool stuff, and they gladly give out free samples for testing purposes :)

Back