Pellet versus Leaf Hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CowboyShootist

Reaction score
Greetings,

I am going to try a little experiment on a Wheat Beer kit I was given at Christmas. The kit came with 2 cans of Unhopped Wheat Malt, a package of hops and some yeast.

Looking at various Wheat beer recipies I have decided to do a little hops substitution. I will be using Hallertauer in leiu of the package that came with the kit. I could only find the Hallertauer in pellet form and am wondering if I should use more or less pellets in a recipie that calls for leaf hops?

I am thinking about 1.5 oz for a 30-60 min boil. Then maybe .5 oz at flameout (or 10 mins).

What's the conventional wisdom on pellets? Seems like you might need to use less since they are more "dense" than leaf type.

Thanks in advance for your advice and wisdom. :)
TC

That sounds about right. ~2 oz total of a low AA% noble hop is just about right for a wheat based beer.

If you want a Bavarian Hefe, I'd suggest picking up some liquid Wyeast 3068. If you are going for American style, stick with the dry yeast that came in the kit.

That sounds about right. ~2 oz total of a low AA% noble hop is just about right for a wheat based beer.

If you want a Bavarian Hefe, I'd suggest picking up some liquid Wyeast 3068. If you are going for American style, stick with the dry yeast that came in the kit.

Actually I picked up a Wyeast 3056 not realizing that there were more choices. I wonder how much of a difference that will make?

Back