Newbie Advice on fermentation, RDWHAHB!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

webnmar

Reaction score
I brewed by sixth batch Tuesday night, Brew Ha Ha Bock from Mr. Beer, re-hydrated the yeast and pitched. I have done this 1 other time, but previously, just pitched dry yeast.

All previous fermentations started in 10 hours and were vigorous, so I expected the same this time.

By Wednesday morning the foam layer from aeration had dissipated and no signs of start, Same deal Wednesday night. But my newbie HBT training kicked in and I decided to wait the full 72 hours before making any rash decisions. Thursday morning, same deal. Tonight, I came home from work and still no signs after 48 hours. The HBT training was wearing thin and I was getting nervous. I took another packet of yeast out of the fridge to start warming it up. When I did this, I noticed my HBs sitting there nicely chilled and said RDWHAHB!!!, Then I decided that everytime I looked at the fermenter, I had to have another HB.

The good news is at 10:30pm, I have krausen, a nice 1 inch creamy foamy layer. Wooo Hooo!!!! And I didn't try to do anything stupid to try to "fix" it.

The other good news is I am hammered, I bet I looked at the fermenter about 8 times since 5 O'clock.

It is now that I realize that I moved my fermenter location to a slightly cooler location ~65F instead of 72F, and that probably accounts for the slower start and maybe less vigorous activity.

SO, to all you newbies like me.... as all the HBT experts say, fermentation may take 24-72 hours to start, the little yeasties know what they are doing.

RDWHAHB!! :mug:

The inspiration for Ha Ha Bock?
hahaguylu8.jpg

Back