Water chemistry - target mash or batch?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

larrybrewer

Reaction score
I am curious what others have to say about refining water chemistry.

Let's say I know my water is deficient in Calcium and I want to raise the ppm to 75 (while balancing with SO4). Should I only worry about the mash water, or do I also need to boost the sparge water?

As a follow up to this, what is more important to target, pH range, or mineral levels? Getting pH accurate down to 0.1 requires a new gadget.

From what I understand, which isn't much, you would probably want to increase the minerals (Ca + SO4) for the entirety of the batch (not just mashing) because this does a lot more than just increase efficiency.

HowToBrew said:
Ca
Calcium is the principal ion that determines water hardness and has a +2 charge. As it is in our own bodies, calcium is instrumental to many yeast, enzyme, and protein reactions, both in the mash and in the boil. It promotes clarity, flavor, and stability in the finished beer. Calcium additions may be necessary to assure sufficient enzyme activity for some mashes in water that is low in calcium.

SO4
Brewing Range = 50-150 ppm for normally bitter beers, 150-350 ppm for very bitter beers
The sulfate ion also combines with Ca and Mg to contribute to permanent hardness. It accentuates hop bitterness, making the bitterness seem drier, more crisp.

I would say pH is less of a factor unless you are getting horrible efficiency even when using 5.2pH.

I am far from an expert on water chemistry, I only know what I have read from HowToBrew and haven't enacted any of these methods yet. I hope someone with more experience stops in and can offer some more advice.

FWIW, my well water is practically DI water and is very low in minerals including calcium. My efficiency is very high. Depending on the recipe, mash length, etc. it ranges from 89-93%. IIRC from the literature, the grain itself contains a significant amount of calcium and other minerals to facilitate enzyme activity.

If there is a "minimum" requirement (ppm) for minerals in mash water, I'd like to know what it is.

Minerals - Just the mash water. I use pH5.2 in my sparge water, so I can sparge hotter without worrying about tannins.

what about mineral levels for the overall taste of the finished beer? You need some minerals for yeast health also...I am using store bought water, spring water w/some RO thrown in. My well water in very high in alkilinity (sp) and very hard, so I don't use it.

Back