What do I do with this "extra" green wire?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JPicasso

Hackbrewer extraordinaire
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So I'm putting together a simple electric brewery and noticing my heating elements have two connections, but then I have an extra green wire from the power source. Do I understand this correctly, that the green wire (ground, obv.) needs to be fastened to my kettle?

That makes sense, but before I plug anything in, I'm double checking here.

Thanks
-JP

Whoah there cowboy, first you gotta answer a few questions.

110v or 220v?
What is the green wire connected to on the other end?

Ok, reason I ask is that sometimes with 220v that green wire is neutral, not ground. Anyway, yes with 110, the hot and neutral connect to the posts on the element and the ground must connect to the vessels and any other conductive parts that have the possibility of being energized.

Ok, reason I ask is that sometimes with 220v that green wire is neutral, not ground. Anyway, yes with 110, the hot and neutral connect to the posts on the element and the ground must connect to the vessels and any other conductive parts that have the possibility of being energized.

Expand on this 220V green neutral comment. Ive never heard of this before...

As my understanding is correct on a 220 circuit the only time a neutral is needed is for 120v controls of the 220v device. I just don't understand to why it would be used as a neutral that kinda goes against standard practice. I mess with 480V daily with an industrial environment and not much 220v. But I tend to think I know a good bit about ac electrical and never have heard of this. I'm not saying your false just looking to learn something new...

Careful when throwing around the term "grounding wire". The green wire with the 120V system is most likely the "bonding wire" or "equipment grounding wire". If you trace the green wire from your outlets back to your distribution panel they should tie into the neutral bus. From there the neutral bus then gets "grounded". By running that bonding wire it ensure that your circuit breakers will function properly incase there is a fault. That way you don't have a shocking experience and you live to brew another day! :mug:

Expand on this 220V green neutral comment. Ive never heard of this before...

As my understanding is correct on a 220 circuit the only time a neutral is needed is for 120v controls of the 220v device. I just don't understand to why it would be used as a neutral that kinda goes against standard practice. I mess with 480V daily with an industrial environment and not much 220v. But I tend to think I know a good bit about ac electrical and never have heard of this. I'm not saying your false just looking to learn something new...

All I know is, I run my system off a 3 wire 220v outlet, it has two hot, and a neutral. Most newer homes are built with 4 wire 220v plugs, so there is an opportunity for confusion on which wire does what, when you're just looking at the color of the insulation. Don't trust the color, trace it back and find out what it's connected to.

All I know is, I run my system off a 3 wire 220v outlet, it has two hot, and a neutral. Most newer homes are built with 4 wire 220v plugs, so there is an opportunity for confusion on which wire does what, when you're just looking at the color of the insulation. Don't trust the color, trace it back and find out what it's connected to.

A neutral is not needed in a split phase 220V system found in the US, unless you use 120V controls for the 220V system. If you are running your system using with 120A and 120B equaling 220V and using a neutral as a ground then its out of code. I understand this is a personal system and for home use but there are reasons why codes are enforced. I also understand that using it this way will function fine in a case of a perfect world. But if there is a fault then the circuit will not function correctly, thus turning to unsafe.

Wire colors are a standard and should be follow for this reason. A ground wire shouldn't be used as a neutral and a neutral shouldn't be used as a ground.

Actually, you run yours off a 3 wire 240V outlet. 220V are no longer used in either product design or by electric utilities in the US and Canada.

Hmmm, what if the house and electric service were built in the 60's? Is it the transformer on the pole, or the house wiring that determines this?

Back