bottle bombs 4 months later?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flyboy

Reaction score
I bottled up some Hefy on mid March and put them in the dining area of our appartment covered with a blanet to prevent light exposure. This last weekend, I'm sitting in the bedroom when I hear what sounds like someone dropped a glass in the kitchen. I run out there and can smell the beer right away. I look under the blanket and I see one of my bottles shattered. I clean it up not thinking anything about it when about an hour later I hear the same sound. Now, it's been in the 110's here the last few days and the air has been working hard keeping the appartment between 78-82. So I CAREFULLY move the bottle to the fridge and no more bombs. (oven mitts, tongs, athletic cup) I've never had any do this before. These aren't gushers when I open them up. Of course, I usually let them sit in the fridge a couple day before I open them up. So, I'm thinking the higher room temps was causing them to blow. Anyone else have a similar problem where summer heat causing bottles to burst?

Back