Got my first request! … now I need some help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kubed

Reaction score
I just got my first request to make a homebrew from a friend, but it’s for a beer that I’ve never even heard of: Abita Turbo Dog. I looked around online and did a search here for a recipe and I found a few that more or less follow this guideline:

5 lbs light DME
1.25 lbs 60L crystal malt
0.5 lbs chocolate malt
90 min boil
1.0 oz Chinook Hops @ 00 min
1.5 oz Willamette Hops @ 85 min
1.5 oz Willamette Hops @ Dry Hop
White Labs WLPOO4 Irish Ale or Wyeast 1084 Irish Ale

Anyone have any input as to this recipe? This will be the first stout I’ve ever made so I’m not sure how well this follows what a stout should be… much less how Turbo Dog should taste. It also looks like AHBS has a clone kit for this and I wondered if anyone had any experience with it.

Kubed said:
Anyone have any input as to this recipe? This will be the first stout I’ve ever made so I’m not sure how well this follows what a stout should be… much less how Turbo Dog should taste.

It still wont be your first since it's not a stout ;)

Is that the BYO recipe? If not, I can check later on.

Kubed said:
I just got my first request to make a homebrew from a friend, but it’s for a beer that I’ve never even heard of: Abita Turbo Dog. I looked around online and did a search here for a recipe and I found a few that more or less follow this guideline:

5 lbs light DME
1.25 lbs 60L crystal malt
0.5 lbs chocolate malt
90 min boil
1.0 oz Chinook Hops @ 00 min
1.5 oz Willamette Hops @ 85 min
1.5 oz Willamette Hops @ Dry Hop
White Labs WLPOO4 Irish Ale or Wyeast 1084 Irish Ale

Anyone have any input as to this recipe? This will be the first stout I’ve ever made so I’m not sure how well this follows what a stout should be… much less how Turbo Dog should taste. It also looks like AHBS has a clone kit for this and I wondered if anyone had any experience with it.
That's pretty much the recipe in BYO Clone brews. O.G. is 1.054 and the IBU's are 32. The list Crystal 100 or Munton's crystal dark.

brewt00l said:
It still wont be your first since it's not a stout ;)

HA! The internet lied to me! I was lead to believe that Turbo Dog was a stout! Can you guys give me a hint as what it really is? :D

Abita makes a lot of good beers how is it that none of you have tried any of them? If you want some turbo dog I can get it and send it to you for the cost or something.

Turbo Dog is easy to brew. Just brew a good amber and add Simamar.

That's about as much of a stout as it is.

Thanks!

:mug:

I checked out some of the local places around here, but it doesn't look like they normally carry it. However it looks like bevmo.com carries it, so I'll have to order a 6 pack. Thanks for the help guys!

I finally got to try some turbo dog (I called up the local distributor here in Vegas and found out what stores had). Perhaps it's because I just brewed an extract of the hob goblin, or maybe it's because I just ordered the supplies to be an AG hob goblin, but I thought turbo dog tasted a whole lot like hob goblin.... but then maybe I'm just crazy for hob goblin :D

Back