Preparing Brew Water

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
thebull said:
Does any or all boil their brew water prior to brewing?

No,but it goes through a filter that removes chloamines (clorgon). My water is "lager" water. Soft, 5.2ph out of the tap. That's why i brew lagers mostly. Too lazy to adjust the water for ales........:)

My buddy boils his water first. It settles a lot of the carbonates (I think) out of the very hard tap water here. At any rate, he boils it for a while the night before he brews, and by morning there is an obvious collection of white precipitate at the bottom of the kettle.

Yuri_Rage said:
My buddy boils his water first. It settles a lot of the carbonates (I think) out of the very hard tap water here. At any rate, he boils it for a while the night before he brews, and by morning there is an obvious collection of white precipitate at the bottom of the kettle.

It does precipitate out carbonates, but make sure you siphon it of the precipitate or they can redissolve over time,
In theory it would also stabilise any salts you added as water treatment, but I doubt whether you could ever tell the difference in the finished beer becuase of this.

only to sanitize, and only when it was for top off water. now I do full boils.

i have hard, 7.8pH tap water, carbonate hardness, general hardness, and fairly alkaline, and treated with chloramine so it doesn't boil off.

no issues with any of my AG brews yet, and the LHBS guy doesn't mess with his water either.

i don't boil my water at all-no preparations whatsoever. i have a water softener and get my brew/sparge water ready either the night before/day of with no ill-effects. basically, if your water tastes good, go with it.

I live in a moderately hard water area and I used to boil it first the night before and then add gypsum and epsom salts after siphoning off but there was very little precipitate so now i just draw the water off the day before and let it stand to release chlorine and then add gypsum and epsom salts - result is better extraction rate.

A bunch of guys around here boil their water the day before if they are brewing something that needs softer water. We have a lot of carbonates in Houston water. I don't brew as much as some of those guys, and I don't brew those styles very often, so I don't mind buying water from time to time.

TL

No, but when I was reading Stone's recipe/instructions for their Vertical Epic, they mentioned how they often heat their sparge water up to 180 a little early and then let it slowly drop down to 170, which burns off some of the chloramine in the water.

Me, I use a mix of bottled spring water and filtered tap water, so I don't worry that much.

i went to walmart and purchased a pur one water filter for my kitchen tap,,when it comes out it is most deffinatly beer water baby,i even will top off my secondary with it when i rack over for clarifying ,it is the best 27 bucks ive spent in my brew hardware collection,it is also good for 500 gallons before it needs changing ,check one out ,i promise you will not be dissapointed ,your beer bud bull

I did not when I was extract brewing but have been as I get into AG. The larger time commitment has me a little more cautious. My water is pretty good, only 40ppm carbonate. For now I am boiling the chlorides out and making doubly sure there are no living bugs in there.

I use Poland Spring Water for all my Brewing and topping off. When I go AG this Month, it's be all of my Well Water that goes into the HLT.:fro:

Back