WLP570 Recipes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Funes

Reaction score
Long-time lurker, first post.

I've got a 1.056 Belgian golden ale finishing up in the primary that I brewed with WLP570 and some extract/light steeping grains. While it has a more complex grain bill than Duvel, I got fantastic attenuation to 1.002 and it tastes remarkably like it at this point. I'm very happy with it.

I'd like to use the yeast cake for at least one more batch. I'm a fan of Rochefort 10 and similar dark Belgians, but the wife is not so fond of the rummy/dark fruit characteristics and prefers dry stouts. I'm looking for a compromise recipe (extract/partial mash) that might land somewhere in the middle. I was considering something like NB's 'Mustache Envy'.

Any other thoughts or ideas?

I've never had one, but you could try a Belgian stout. Seems like a good compromise.
Edit: Duh, Mustache Envy is a Belgian stout.

I guess my main question is how much character I can expect to get from WLP570 in a dark beer, and how much roasted/chocolate malt it could tolerate without being overwhelmed.

Mustache Envy is brewed with a different strain that is targeted at Belgian stouts. I don't want to lose the character of WLP570 and just end up with a stout, but I also need to add some roasty elements to make it more palatable.

You've got me interested in finding out how this tastes, so I did a little searching. Sounds like you should get some nice fruitiness from the yeast that comes through at the front. My search showed people have had plenty of success making Belgian stouts without the specific Belgian stout strain. The 570 is should work great for you. If you're trying to stay away from rummy/dark fruit taste make sure to avoid Special B malt and any dark Belgian Candi syrup. Those are the common ingredients in Belgian Dark Strongs that give those flavors.

In addition to the extract, I was thinking of something like this for the grain bill:

1 lb Caramunich
.5 lb Chocolate malt
.5 lb Roasted Barley
.25 Black patent

I was also considering some smoked malt, or perhaps some oak in secondary. Any advice on fermentation temp to let the yeast break through? I fermented the golden ale between 66 - 72 and the profile is very clean. I'm thinking more esters might be good in this brew, but I had a bad experience with WLP550 and a lot of clove at what I thought were moderate temperatures so I'm a little hesitant to ferment much warmer.

It is safe to go with higher temps with 570. It is noted for being clean when pitched in the mid 60s and rising to the low 70s. I'd pitch in the high 60s and slowly ramp up to 80. That will give you more fruit and just a slight bit of spice/clove. This will also give really high attenuation, so manage the body by adjusting the mash temp. I can't really say much about the grain except that what you have looks reasonable.

Back