Frigidaire Model FRC445GB mini-fridge 1/2 barrel conversion - door sealing problem

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ipatch

Reaction score
Hello, I recently converted my Frigidaire Model FRC445GB mini-fridge to hold a 1/2 barrel keg. I have done all the work except for getting the door to seal properly. Today my friend and I went to Home Depot to purchase some hanger iron in hopes to get the door to seal properly, but he thinks it won't get the door to seal. I seemed a little more optimistic about the materials usage. However before I gorilla glue this metal to front on my mini-fridge I was wondering if anyone here had any suggestions on getting the door to seal properly. If you know of a thin metal stock preferably that is magnetic, straight, and doesn't have holes in it, and can be purchased from a local store, I'm all ears. Thanks for reading let me know what you think.

kegerator-seal-01.JPG

kegerator-seal02.JPG

Hi

Step one is to get everything flat. The gasket will only flex a small amount.

Step two is to put on the magnetic "stuff". The original worked with sheet metal, so that's probably a good start. If you go with something that's already magnetic it needs to be north pole / south pole oriented so it works with the magnetic stuff in the door.

Bob

Well my buddy came over today with "metal banding" it's ability to stick to the magnet on the door seal was awesome so I decided to go with it. It was also black (bonus) so I gorilla glued it to the frame, and now I am waiting for it dry. Hopefully I will get a good seal.

kegerator-metal01.JPG

kegerator-metal02.JPG

kegerator-metal03.JPG

Do you have a material list, instruction on how to expand your mini fridge/kegerator? I'm looking to add like 3" on mine so I can fit a slim 1/4 barrel instead of just 1/6 barrels.

Of like to see how you expanded your fridge as well. I've got my old fridge from college that I would like to convert for now, but its to shallow and narrow to fit no more then one corny and the 5lb co2 tank. I need to add about 6" to mine.

I'm just looking to add depth. Unfortunately my fridge has the hump over the motor which costs me like 4-5". I just wish I had the capability to get the 1/4 slim kegs.

Latest posts

Back