Dos Equis Amber Lager (Mexican vs. Bohemian Lager Yeast selection)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jgoodloe

Reaction score
Trying to decide between yeast for a Dos Equis Clone Extract form Austin Homebrew.

I was thinking of using the White Labs WLP940 Mexican Lager instead of the Wyeast 2124 Bohemian Lager Yeast and was wondering if anyone had feedback on experience with the Mexican Lager yeast.

I have the Mexican Lager yeast available from a yeast washing and was considering using the Mexican Lager yeast instead and was wondering how different the taste may be.

Wyeast 2124 Bohemian Lager Yeast
A Carlsberg type yeast and most widely used lager strain in the world. Produces a distinct malty profile with some ester character and a crisp finish. Will ferment in the 45-55°F range for various beer styles. Benefits from diacetyl rest at 58°F (14°C) for 24 hours after fermentation is complete. Also used for pseudo-ale production with fermentations at 75°F, (24°C) which eliminates sulfur production.

White Labs WLP940 Mexican Lager
From Mexico City, this yeast produces clean lager beer, with a crisp finish. Good for Mexican style light lagers, as well as dark lagers.

Quick answer: 10 days primary and 26 days second. Opinion: not long enough.

Long answer:
I rushed this one. I was out of beers and got in a hurry. I used the Mexican Lager yeast and have enjoyed all of the beers that I have made with this one.

I would have increase the primary time to about 2 weeks and the lagering to at least a few months. The beer was more than drinkable, but it would have probably been that much better given some time.

I'm doing a Vienna lager right now with the same yeast, as a favor for a friend who "just loves the hell out of Dos Equis Dark." Fermenting between 46-50, followed by a lengthy lagering period at about 40 degrees.

How did you feel the Mexican yeast finished out compared to other lager yeasts? I've never used the Bohemian before, but it seemed perfect for the application, and the temperatures I have available. Curious to know what you think about Mexican vs. Bohemian....

Back