Pipe smoking, a lost art.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
when i started i spent too much on my first pipe, and I end up smoking my corn cobs more often.

And I stick to 1-1.5oz samples, and I'm glad cause I hate looking at the few large amounts of tobacco I don't like smoking just taking up space in my drawer.

+1 What BrewinHooligan says

The most important rule is to like what you smoke and smoke what you like.
:mug:

So, just starting out I just made these purchases:

Pipe:
http://www.pipesandcigars.com/product/70787/

Tobacco:
http://www.pipesandcigars.com/product/85456/

My question is... should I buy a better pipe first? Lol. I also purchased a tool and some cleaners. If anyone can recommend a reasonable priced pipe that will last me quite some time, that would be great!

I'm gonna echo BrewinHooligan and sleepspeaking: start off with small samples of different tobaccos until you find something you really like. Dr. Grabow makes some decent starter pipes, but I really use my Missouri Meerschaum cobs (Eaton and Legend) more than my others (not that I have a lot). the rest on a cob is a lot shorter, they are cheap, and the bowl size is perfect for at work. I can smoke any blend out of them with little cleaning and had no issues with ghosting.

I don't think I'll be taking orders (unless I find out that I'm unnaturally good at it), but I can make sure you get one!:rockin:

Sounds fair bruva! I'm cool with trades or purchase. I have gotten pretty damn good at rolling cigars that smoke as well or better than the premiums.

Ignored the dr today and ran some 2012 Penzance through my poker.

View attachment 1458004515200.jpg

Monday evening I cut up my 2nd pressing of tobacco. it was just some Chatham Manor with some 1-Q and a little Rum Outlaws split & mixed in. when I pulled the cake out, it was pressed for 3 days and very dense. now it's all fluffy. gonna have to think on this.

Took advantage of pipes and cigars free shipping today and ordered a Missouri Meershaum Legend and an oz of Lane 1q. Cant wait for it to get here and try my first pipe.

I just picked up that deal from pipes and cigars. I figure I can parcel out the stuff I don't want to one of my brothers, my next batch of beer should be ready for drinking by March 1st. I'll toast the both of you with a brew and bowl once both arrive, and/or carbonate.

Here's to you two jokers. Happy Saint Patty's.

View attachment 1458264433428.jpg

Went to Phoenix Pipe Club last night. Had some Comoys Cask 4 which is a tasty VA/per flake then someone let me try some Frog Morton Cellar and I immediately bought a large tin of the stuff along with some Lancer Slices. Never been to the shop before and they have a ton of bulk stuff.
View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1458318200.166770.jpg

Hey billy I make my own beer. I'll send you ho made beers for a ho made pipe.

Marinate on it.

I second this marination but will throw it out there to anyone that makes their own. Will properly compensate with beer and or other local goods. I'll never care enough to buy some pricey pipe, it's all about the journey... nothing special about buying some wonky little pipe from the Indian Reservation.

I second this marination but will throw it out there to anyone that makes their own. Will properly compensate with beer and or other local goods. I'll never care enough to buy some pricey pipe, it's all about the journey... nothing special about buying some wonky little pipe from the Indian Reservation.

I would third this second xP but I don't have the homebrew to send right now. I've got 10 gallons fermenting right now but that's for a party in a couple months haha I'm pretty sure I need every drop of it.

picked up my first corn cob, tool, and pouch today. I had no idea where to start with tobacco so the lady behind the counter who had to use a cheat sheet recommended mix no. 79. I'm reading some interesting reviews now. I enjoyed it for my first time smoking a pipe but I look forward to trying something that is a little more widely enjoyed by the pipe smoking community.

picked up my first corn cob, tool, and pouch today. I had no idea where to start with tobacco so the lady behind the counter who had to use a cheat sheet recommended mix no. 79. I'm reading some interesting reviews now. I enjoyed it for my first time smoking a pipe but I look forward to trying something that is a little more widely enjoyed by the pipe smoking community.

where to start is really hard place to start. personal taste is a helluva thing. I can enjoy most anything. what kind of flavor/aroma are you looking for?

where to start is really hard place to start. personal taste is a helluva thing. I can enjoy most anything. what kind of flavor/aroma are you looking for?

I feel like the first moment I realized craft beer was a thing and realizing there is a plethora of new tastes and flavors to try, but having no reference point to start from.

I have no idea what I'm looking for. I wanted to try it as a substitute for cigarettes and at least curb my tobacco use for the better. I'm in Canada too so not sure if that makes any difference to what's available to me. I was hoping the shop I went to had smaller sample sizes and i would try a few but they didn't so I have 1.5 oz of this stuff... which I'll smoke, it's not like i hate the stuff. I'm going to try the only other tobacco shop in the city to see if they can give me some better direction.

I feel like the first moment I realized craft beer was a thing and realizing there is a plethora of new tastes and flavors to try, but having no reference point to start from.

I have no idea what I'm looking for. I wanted to try it as a substitute for cigarettes and at least curb my tobacco use for the better. I'm in Canada too so not sure if that makes any difference to what's available to me. I was hoping the shop I went to had smaller sample sizes and i would try a few but they didn't so I have 1.5 oz of this stuff... which I'll smoke, it's not like i hate the stuff. I'm going to try the only other tobacco shop in the city to see if they can give me some better direction.

pipesandcigars.com has a great selection to choose from. personally, I'm quite fond of Latakia blends. one I have been enjoying lately is Fusilier's Ration. it has a nice campfire smoke flavor and aroma. Chatham Manor is a nice Burley/Virginia blend likened to Carter Hall. I like it a little better than Carter Hall though. a good aromatic to start with is Lane's 1-Q. Sutliff's Molto Dolce is another great aromatic. it's like pipe candy to me and I have a sweet tooth. Tsuge has a really great Virginia blend called Gunjin. I would start at Pipes & Cigars and read descriptions to find what appeals to you. keep us posted on what you find and how you like/dislike it!:mug:

Enjoying some Esoterica Margate in my meer while watching some Trailer Park Boys
View attachment 345831

images

pipesandcigars.com has a great selection to choose from. personally, I'm quite fond of Latakia blends. one I have been enjoying lately is Fusilier's Ration. it has a nice campfire smoke flavor and aroma. Chatham Manor is a nice Burley/Virginia blend likened to Carter Hall. I like it a little better than Carter Hall though. a good aromatic to start with is Lane's 1-Q. Sutliff's Molto Dolce is another great aromatic. it's like pipe candy to me and I have a sweet tooth. Tsuge has a really great Virginia blend called Gunjin. I would start at Pipes & Cigars and read descriptions to find what appeals to you. keep us posted on what you find and how you like/dislike it!:mug:

tried pipesandcigars and they won't ship to Canada i guess so i picked up an order from 4noggins. i pretty much went with your suggestion to an extent; tin of Fusilier's Ration, tin of Tsuge Gunjin, lane 1q, and some Dunhill nightcap cuz it just stood out to me. this Sutliff mix 79 is growing on me. I'm learning to smoke slowly as it will bite if you smoke too fast.

this appeals to me cuz it makes smoking more of a ritual and hobby rather than just getting a quick fix. quite similar to craft beer vs inbev imo.

just made a blend of:
2oz Yellow Virginia
2oz Green River Black Cavendish
1.4oz Latakia
0.4oz Perique

I saved a little back in a jar and lightly pressing the bulk of it. I'm rehydrating some Toasted Burley I'm gonna blend with some Long Cut Virginia.

just made a blend of:
2oz Yellow Virginia
2oz Green River Black Cavendish
1.4oz Latakia
0.4oz Perique

I saved a little back in a jar and lightly pressing the bulk of it. I'm rehydrating some Toasted Burley I'm gonna blend with some Long Cut Virginia.

That sounds damn good. I expect a full report or berry pawnches will ensue.

Back