MP3 player Portable Speaker Options

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jaysus

Reaction score
Is anyone using a portable speaker for their MP3 player of choice? I have an old dumpy one that is useful for times when I am in rooms with out stereo, or brewing in my garage - but it is all but dead at this point, and the wires are a hassle. I also use it as a speaker phone when I am working from home, but the phone part is limited by the cord.

I've done a whole 20 minutes or so of research and I'm pretty sure that I'd like a bluetooth speaker option, and I am turning to the collective wisdom of the forum to for thoughts, comments and suggestions. Here a are a couple options that I have seen so far:

Jawbone Jambox - the price has gone up on this one everyday this week.
Creative D100 - the price seems decent
Supertooth Disco - I just like the name "superTooth"
Bose Chihuahua - this one is not released yet, and is actually what got me thinking that a speaker of this nature may be useful for me.

Am I overlooking something? Are there better docking options? Ease of mobility is nice, but it is not an absolute requirement. If there is something totally super awesome with a bigger footprint, I'd like to look at that too.

Do you have any thoughts on the ones linked above? What are you guys using for your mp3 type players?

Last edited by a moderator:
I am using an old 3-piece PC speaker system. Not exactly portable, but it was cheap and works well in the garage if I don't want to "feel" the music.

I am using an old 3-piece PC speaker system. Not exactly portable, but it was cheap and works well in the garage if I don't want to "feel" the music.

+1 My office was trashing some old PC speakers, I grab a pair or two, put one in the garage the other pair on the deck. Great sound for cheap.

I like cheap!

I also like that bose sound dock posted above, I just wish it was not designed with the iPhone in mind.

this. And you can get a decent sounding PC system including subwoofer to make a very decent garage sound for reasonably cheap, like this

images

Back