large measuring pitcher

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dixon

Reaction score
I'm moving over to all grain with my next batch. I have a 2 keggle/cooler setup but don't have all the fittings yet to make this ideal. Namely a sight glass. I am buying stuff as we have extra cash. Anyway in measuring my runoff to get my preboil volume I'd like to find a bigger vessel than my 8cup Pyrex measuring cup. Any suggestions? If you know of chain stores that carry anything like this I would appreciate it I really don't want to pay or wait for shipping if I can avoid it. Thanks!

I always have a bunch of sanitized 1 gallon pitchers around when I brew. It works great for measuring water and collecting first runnings to recirculate and so on.

I bought a Cambro 4-qt pitcher, and the 4-quart measurement is DEAD-ON (as confirmed by weight). Very pleased with it.

The aluminum pitcher I bought was too small to measure its claimed size of 4-quarts when using hot water. It came up to the rivet, which meant my fingers were in hot water. OUCH.

M_C

I bought a 1 gal pitcher marked in quarts and liters at Gordon Food Service. I brew with only one keggle and mash tun. So i put my runnings in fermenting bucket from LHBS. I checked the marks against my 1 gal pitcher and they are right on.

I just started brewing AG and bought one of these...

image_3060.jpg

....from Northern Brewer. Here is a link to the product.

http://www.northernbrewer.com/brewing/aluminum-measuring-pitcher-4-quart.html

What is the purpose of the sight glass? Seriously!

Now that I have them I can't imagine brewing without them. They are especially useful if using a pump. Faster and easier than using a pitcher with no risk of spilling/burning. Also make it easier to see and adjust flow rates for recirculation or fly sparging.

+1 to the restaurant supply shop. I just got a big 1-gallon measuring cup that is marked off in quarts and liters. It was something like $4. Those places are gold mines for measuring equipment, storage and all sorts of other stuff you never imagined finding in a store.

Your local dollar store should have plenty of options. Guess how much they cost.

You could also mark the depth on a long spoon's handle or similar item. Then you could just fill up with a hose. Then you don't have to worry if you've put in 3 pitchers, or wait, was that 4?

Anyway in measuring my runoff to get my preboil volume I'd like to find a bigger vessel than my 8cup Pyrex measuring cup. Any suggestions?

I suggest measuring your runoff in your boil kettle, you can make marks on the kettle or make a measuring stick, or even make marks on your brewing spoon. Add a gallon of water to your kettle and mark a stick, add another gallon and repeat till the pot is full.

I one gallon plastic rubbermaid pitcher can be usefull for measuring sparge additions, but for measuring runnings, it is easiest do measure it IN the kettle.

Back