Who's smoking meat this weekend?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got a 12lbs brisket on the KJ for Mothers Day. Basic salt, pepper, garlic and onion powder. Started at 630 so I'm hoping for at least a 12 hour smoke but once again overshot my temp and its hovering at 160 already. Hope for a loooooong stall but I doubt the Kamado will be having much of that.

Got a 12lbs brisket on the KJ for Mothers Day. Basic salt, pepper, garlic and onion powder. Started at 630 so I'm hoping for at least a 12 hour smoke but once again overshot my temp and its hovering at 160 already. Hope for a loooooong stall but I doubt the Kamado will be having much of that.

Dont worry 200° is 200° it'll be great

Smoked over 100 frenched drummies for a buddy today. These will be served to a large crowd of professional restaurant owners (clientele) to show case various sauces that my buddy's company sells. He is in the food supply industry.

The drummies will be deep fried and sauced prior to serving so I smoked these at a low temp to apply smoke and retain juiciness/tenderness.

I can't wait to hear what his clients think of my work!!

14oayae.jpg

had a good weekend catching kokanee salmon, so im gonna be doing an all day smoke binge tomorrow. usually takes 3-4 hours for hung fillets, but i got A LOT to do. Best thing on the planet :)

had a good weekend catching kokanee salmon, so im gonna be doing an all day smoke binge tomorrow. usually takes 3-4 hours for hung fillets, but i got A LOT to do. Best thing on the planet :)

I agree! What kind of wood will you use or I guess can you recommend some for fish

Dry cured some maple bacon. Letting it dry out in the fridge until tomorrow then cold smoking it for a few hours.

I did this last weekend, but wanted to post the results. Dry cured some pork belly into bacon. Soaked in maple syrup and smoked for 3 hours on hickory and another 3 on oak until it hit internal temp. Used some of it and the rendered fat to make bacon extract. The bacon came out wonderfully.

2016-05-12 08.33.48.jpg

2016-05-12 12.26.41.jpg

2016-05-12 15.39.59-1.jpg

2016-05-12 17.08.41.jpg

2016-05-12 18.15.25.jpg

The bacon looks really good. Last night I did a chuck roast. It took 8 hours to cook. I thought it would cook in three or four hours. Does something seem weird here? Also I cook everything at 275 in my electric, because the little extra heat makes Cooks go so much faster. That being said does that extra heat burn the bark?

How big was the roast? They can be pretty tough and take a while to break down. Did you add smoke (not that it helps answer the question, just curious)?

3 pounds, I used Hickory and apple mixed. Normally I add little handfuls every 30 minutes or hour but tried to load up 3 hours worth at once. Not sure how long it smoked for.

Okay here's a picture, doesn't look so charred to me and is good. Adding chips every hour = better results, i think.

Looks like you got one of the last Brinkmanns. Supposedly they went out of business. There are a few threads on modifying to give more control. Sealing the lid, drilling some new holes and installing some weber dampers helps control the rate at which the charcoal burns.

PLanning on a pork shoulder this weekend. Having a party for the little guy's first birthday, already brewed the beer (New Albion-inspired pale ale) now just have to figure out the details of this.
We have about 35 people coming. I have a 10.75-pound picnic shoulder in the fridge, we're also having burgers and chicken thighs. Wondering if that size will be enough, or should I get another, smaller one.
I'll be putting that thing on Saturday, taking it as long as I can, then putting in the over at 200* or so to finish up. If I can get a rack of ribs in the next couple days, I may throw them on for dinner Saturday.

It's just as easy to do two as one, I would do two shoulders, Only put out the extra when and if needed.it's better to have leftover. If you know what I mean.

I can see the pavement right through the bottom of that smoker. I am not sure dampers are going to control much.

A vent in the top would be useful, though.

Oh! I see your point. Different than the brinkmann I have. Mine is closed on the bottom with a center hole for airflow. The threads tell you to block the center hole and drill 2 smaller ones with dampers, seal the lid, drill 2 or 3 holes in the lid and install dampers on those as well. Basically you are mimicking the Weber Smokey Mountain for a lot less moolah.

PLanning on a pork shoulder this weekend. Having a party for the little guy's first birthday, already brewed the beer (New Albion-inspired pale ale) now just have to figure out the details of this.
We have about 35 people coming. I have a 10.75-pound picnic shoulder in the fridge, we're also having burgers and chicken thighs. Wondering if that size will be enough, or should I get another, smaller one.
I'll be putting that thing on Saturday, taking it as long as I can, then putting in the over at 200* or so to finish up. If I can get a rack of ribs in the next couple days, I may throw them on for dinner Saturday.

I'd get another. Unless 15 of those 35 are wee little ones.

Edit: disregard. I didn't see the burgers and thighs comment. You should be OK...

I'm having four people over for dinner tomorrow night and my wife is making pizza. Just to be safe, I'm prepping a 5lb brisket for the smoker

Back