How long can my wort sit before adding yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

McBrewski

Reaction score
So I brewed an Oktoberfest Ale yesterday and didn't realize that liquid yeast starters require a day or two after they are made to be added to the wort. So right now my wort is just sitting in my primary fermenter with the lid on and sanitized aluminum foil covering the airlock hole. What is the recommended limit to how long I can let the wort sit before adding the starter? Should I shake the fermenter prior to adding the yeast to make sure it's freshly aerated?

Thanks in advance, guys.

I would pitch ASAP, especially if your starter is more than 12 hours old. And yes you should aerate again.

read up on the topic "no chill brewing" you should find lots of info on how long some people wait to pitch yeast

I have heard of leaving the yeast out for a few days to make sure there is no signs of infection. In the meantime you can use your actual wort for the starter. This is my method now and am loving it.

If I brew on Saturday, I usually don't pitch until Monday or even Tuesday.

I have a lager wort here in a carboy, everything was sanitized to death.
However I pitched my yeast not checking if it was alive... not a smart move and I should have checked since I live in friggin iceland and no other way to buy yeast here.
Can I freeze a glass carboy with the wort in it... my worts ready and it'll be atleast a week or two till I can get my shipment.
I have a freezer and enough space for the glass carboy... should I freeze it?... will the glass explode?
Should I keep it at 10°c like I'm doing right now..

Back