Chocolate Stout Recipe (extract)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robsauce

Reaction score
Well, I've been trying to put together my first recipe and have based what I have here on some other stout recipes but made a few modifications to fit what ingredients are available to me. For those of you who are experts, can you make any comments or suggestions? This will be for a 6gallon batch, with a 60min partial(2-3 gallon) boil.

Grains (steeped for ~50mins @ 155F):
0.5 lbs. Caramel/Crystal Malt 120L
1.0 lbs. Roasted Barley 300 SRM
1.0lbs. Chocolate Malt

Extract
8 lbs. Light/Pale DME @ 60min

4-8oz Cocoa powder @ 10min

Hops:
1 oz. Target @ 60min
1 oz. East Kent Goldings @ 30min

I am up for suggestions on different yeasts. Thoughts?

I would add the cocoa to the secondary. I did a chocolate Raspberry Oatmeal Stout last year and added the cocoa to the boil and then to the secondary because I felt much of the chocolate flavor got lost during fermentation.. I think I used either London Ale yeat or Nottingham. I am thinking it was Notty but I can check tonight. For my next batch I am going to use Cacao nibs in the Secondary.

I would add the cocoa to the secondary. I did a chocolate Raspberry Oatmeal Stout last year and added the cocoa to the boil and then to the secondary because I felt much of the chocolate flavor got lost during fermentation.. I think I used either London Ale yeat or Nottingham. I am thinking it was Notty but I can check tonight. For my next batch I am going to use Cacao nibs in the Secondary.

I just found Cacao nibs at my local Specialty market (Henry's in San Diego), I think they are owned by Wild Oat's, who is owned by Whole food's. But I got a pound for $7 in their Herbal supplement section. I see they are $5 for 4oz at More beer.

They taste good, and from what I hear they work really well in the secondary for 1 to 3 weeks, I guess a lot of Brewer's are now experimenting with them as an alternative to Coco powder.

I am trying to get some ingredients together to do a chocolate stout, but Im struggling to find cacao nibs where I live in South Africa. Are these nibs actual chocolate? Or are they like clumpy coco powder?

Cocoa nibs are the roasted Cocoa beans that have been removed from their husks and broken into smaller pieces. They are the step before they are processed further to make Cocoa powder. If you have a herbal medicine store in South Africa, you might be able to find them there.

This beer was made a long time ago, so reaching back into my memory I put about 2oz into a Stainless tea infuser and put them in the keg. I the chocolate flavor was there and improved with time. If I where to do this again, I'd crush the nibs a little more, add around 1.5lb/bbl (4oz/5gallon) and let the keg sit on the nibs for at least 3 weeks before serving.

Remember to adjust your bittering hops to the size of your boil. If your doing a 2.5 gal boil and top up to five you will dilute your IBUs by 50%.

+1 on the nibs in the fermenter. Put them in at flame-out, though so they get sanitized by the hot wort.

Latest posts

Back